The weather station, its equipment, workings, technology and everything associated is in continuous development.
This log documents changes and updates. Older updates can be found here.
Wednesday 22 May 2019
- Webcam software crashed. Restarted.
- Twitter feed stopped working. Corrected.
Thursday 09 May 2019
- Webcam software crashed. Restarted.
Saturday 04 May 2019
- Data wasn’t updated for some of today. Windows Update got in the way and needing confirmation after the daily restart.
Thursday 02 May 2019
- Webcam software crashed. Sorting it crashed the server so data wasn’t uploaded for most of the afternoon. Corrected via some tweaks and restarts.
Monday 22 April 2019
- Two server restarts to install updates.
Thursday 11 April 2019
- Webcam software crashed after the daily restart earlier. Sorted.
Tuesday 09 April 2019
- The server is working as it should as of a week or so back. Final checks today. No more action required.
Friday 22 March 2019
- Many restarts and tweaks to the server today and yesterday.
- ‘Weather Warnings’ page updated to include all UK (and existing South West) warnings (via RSS feeds). The old Met Office Weather Widget has been removed as it has been discontinued.
Tuesday 19 March 2019
- ‘WeatherBug’ page removed as the service has been discontinued.
- A few more tweaks and a restart yesterday.
Saturday 16 March 2019
- Various tweaks and restarts over the last day or so. Almost there.
- Updated Weather Display to version 10.37S build 93.
- Talking Weather service tweaked to be more concise and rain changed to millimetres. The associated page on this site has had minor changes too.
Wednesday 13 March 2019
- Server has finally been updated to the latest version of Windows 10. I had to reset it and start again. Downtime last night and some of today. It will take a while for all services to be reinstalled and tested etc.
Thursday 07 March 2019
- Server was down yesterday afternoon after debugging/a crash.
- Some downtime today into Friday morning and a restart today for debugging.
Monday 04 March 2019
- Various restarts a few nights ago for troubleshooting.
- A restart today to enable a debugging mode.
- The server was offline most of yesterday for testing.
- Updated Weather Display to version 10.37S build 92.
Wednesday 27 February 2019
- Data wasn’t uploaded for some of this morning. Errors again. Working on a fix to get these updates installed.
Tuesday 26 February 2019
- Data wasn’t uploaded for some of this morning and yesterday morning. Restarting Weather Display fixed it.
- Some downtime this afternoon whilst trying to sort Windows updates. Back on now.
Saturday 23 February 2019
- Data wasn’t uploaded for some of this morning. Restarting Weather Display fixed it.
Friday 22 February 2019
- A server restart after playing around with Windows updates issues.
- Data wasn’t uploaded this morning due to said update issues.
Monday 18 February 2019
- Some server restarts - still trying to sort Windows updates.
Tuesday 12 February 2019
- All software on the server updated. Still needs some tweaks. Windows updates still failing.
- Updated Weather Display to version 10.37S build 90.
Tuesday 05 February 2019
- Windows updates still playing up. Several server restarts.
Thursday 31 January 2019
- Windows updates are failing and this has been causing problems (this is related to the previous entry). Looking into.
Tuesday 29 January 2019
- Weather data hasn’t been uploaded since this morning. Not sure what the issue is but will fix soon.
Monday 21 January 2019
- The Weather Display settings/data file corrupted so new data was not uploaded for some of today. Recovered and working as normal now.
Saturday 19 January 2019
- Server restarted a few times to test several things.
Monday 24 December 2018
- Updated the ‘Climate Data’ page in preparation for 2019 data. Removed colours from all tables so they are easier to read.
Tuesday 18 December 2018
- Related to my last entry, the rain data graph on the ‘Home/Live Data’ page was not working properly. Corrected several days back by rebuilding the data files.
Tuesday 04 December 2018
- Monthly rain data didn’t reset to 0 on the ‘Home/Live Data’ page at the start of this month. Have manually corrected what I can. Some graphs are still out. Unsure why but this is a Weather Display error.
- Removed a redundant graph from the ‘In Detail’ page.
- The ‘record low barometer’ reading was way off (again). Corrected.
Thursday 08 November 2018
- Our internet connection was down from about midnight - 07:00 today so no new data was uploaded. This was a separate issue to the one recorded in the last update.
Monday 05 November 2018
- The website has been down most of the day due to an external server problem beyond my control. All fixed now.
Saturday 27 October 2018
Monday 15 October 2018
- Webcam restarted as it was playing up. Will monitor.
Thursday 11 October 2018
- ‘UV Data’ totally finished now (finally). ‘Page under test’ message removed. All data on the graph reset due to a voltage spike during testing from a while back (it was reporting a minus value).
Wednesday 10 October 2018
- About a week ago, the front page was changed to an HTML version of live data due to decreasing support for Flash. Links to the old Flash pages are still available near the bottom. Tweaks were finished tonight.
- The ‘Time-Lapse’ video is no longer Flash and is HTML5 instead. The blurb on said page has been condensed too.
- Associated pages like ‘Help’ have been updated to reflect these changes.
- The ‘back to top’ link wasn’t working on the ‘UV Data’ page. Corrected.
- Also about a week ago, rain data was added to the Twitter feed (total rain of the day in mm).
- Since tweaking the weather station instruments, rain data seems to be working now so this is classed as fixed.
Wednesday 12 September 2018
- UV sensor reinstalled and aside from a few tweaks, is finished. I’m still not sure the units etc are 100% correct but it’s the best it’s going to be.
- Webcam problems. Restarting the server corrected it.
Saturday 08 September 2018
- Weather station reinstalled and working. Will monitor the rain data. Apologies for the down time this week.
- UV sensor removed for final coding.
Monday 03 September 2018
- I took the station down yesterday with the view of sending it back for repair (the rain collector wasn’t registering). After some playing around, it now appears to be working. The station is indoors so needs reinstalling. For the time being data will be inaccurate or will not be updated.
Monday 27 August 2018
- Data was not uploaded for some of this morning due to human error. Corrected.
Sunday 12 August 2018
- Several server restarts to test some settings.
Friday 10 August 2018
- Changed the rain tipper - problem seems to remain so will keep investigating.
Wednesday 08 August 2018
- Several server restarts to test some settings.
Thursday 02 August 2018
- Several server restarts to test some settings.
Tuesday 17/Wednesday 18 July 2018
- Data wasn’t uploaded for some of Tuesday due to another error. Corrected. Several restarts to test.
Monday 16 July 2018
- On further investigation, something is wrong with the rain collector. Looking into.
- Server updated and cleaned today. Several restarts. It was down for a while due to an error. Corrected now.
Friday 13 July 2018
- I think the rain collector is partially blocked. Will check soon.
- Some of the weather records were showing a ridiculous value for low barometer again. Corrected.
- Updated Weather Display to version 10.37S build 73.
Saturday 30 June 2018
- UV sensor code tweaked, unit installed outside and now under proper test.
- Over the last few days, I have added the UV sensor details to the ‘Technical’ page and added/changed images on the ‘Photos’ page.
- FreshWDL updated to the latest version.
Monday 25/Tuesday 26 June 2018
- A while back (when I was looking at getting a new weather station), I wrote I would also see about installing a UV sensor. It is a mixture of parts and coded using an Arduino. Photos and details to follow but it is now under test and a new page ‘UV Data’ has been created. It needs tweaking and the UV levels are way off at the moment (I have the device pointing at a window) but it has been several months of coding and is almost complete.
Thursday 24 May 2018
- Those UPS problems from the 5th of May have been fixed and tested. I was going to change the software but I am leaving it as it is.
Monday 14 May 2018
- Added a more informative browser title to the ‘Home/Live Data’ page.
Saturday 12 May 2018
- With support for ‘Flash’ ending in the coming years, it has been a priority to look for alternatives to the ‘Home/Live Data’ page. The current page will be supported for as long as possible (and likely still in action as a legacy page once Flash is no longer supported). FreshWDL is a non-Flash alternative and (whilst it is still in its early stages), is excellent. This will eventually replace the current front page. It has already been installed in fact, and a text link is on the front page now.
Thursday 10 May 2018
- Weather data wasn’t uploading (and other services weren’t working) - Windows updated itself after the daily restart and needed some (re)-setting up.
- The ‘webcam images from the day’ feature still isn’t working perfectly, but it is better than it was.
Monday 07 May 2018
- Several server restarts.
- The server now restarts early every day rather than just Sunday’s. This should fix the ‘webcam images from the day’ problem on the ‘Webcam’ page where images are not always uploaded.
- Cleaned and defragmented the server disk.
- Finished sorting image titles and alt text on the ‘In Detail’ page.
- Removed an old METAR from the ‘In Detail’ page.
Saturday 05 May 2018
- Data was not uploaded for a bit last night. I had the power off and the useless UPS software messed things up. Looking into alternative software now.
Tuesday 01 May 2018
- Changed some of the main labels and alt text on the ‘In Detail’ page.
- Lowest barometer record level has been reset. It was at a very low reading (possibly due to when I was testing it and setting it up).
- Our entry on the World Weather Station Locator website disappeared. They have corrected this and improved the accuracy of our location even more.
Saturday 28 April 2018
- Several server restarts - mainly to install OS updates.
Saturday 21 April 2018
- Updated the text that goes to Twitter (more data now included, it is easier to read and units added).
- Updated the blurb at the top of the ‘Twitter’ page.
Thursday 19 April 2018
- Server restarted to test something.
- Finished setting up a command that emails me when the webcam is down.
- Our map location on the World Weather Station Locator website is now more accurate.
Saturday 14 April 2018
- Several server restarts (trying to fix something non-weather related).
Thursday 12 April 2018
- The Internet went down or something overnight. Most stuff restored itself automatically but I had to restart the webcam manually.
- Restarted the server twice (once to install updates).
Wednesday 11 April 2018
- ‘Climate Data’ page disclaimer added to reflect the lack of rain data for the end of last year and the first few months of this year (due to the sensor malfunctioning).
- The main ‘Weather Display’ screen wasn’t automatically displaying fully after a server restart (this affected the main image on the ‘In Detail’ page as well). Corrected.
Monday 09 April 2018
- ‘Photos’ page updated with new pictures of the weather station.
- Restarted the server as it was playing up.
Friday 06 April & Saturday 07 April 2018
- Extra RAM installed into server - now running 8GB.
- Server restarted several times for tests.
- The ‘In Detail’ page has been rejigged with some graphs/images removed (including the large dials image) and the page better ordered. Some new graphs/images have been added.
- The ‘Location’ page maps have been replaced with Google Maps.
- The station location is not totally correct on our World Weather Station Locator entry (I forgot to edit it when it moved over a year ago). I’ve emailed them to hopefully sort it.
- I have had a look at the broken powerline adaptor for the webcam router. It is beyond repair. However, I have connected the router direct to the network so the problem is solved.
- Updated the live data pages (home and CRT) so the Barometer units are in hPa to match everything else. Fullscreen button removed as it no longer works with a new link added to each page instead.
Thursday 05 April 2018
- Server restarted as I was playing around with settings.
- One of the webcam powerline (Ethernet over mains) links broke after 06:00. The webcam is working again under a temporary solution.
- One of the alert systems I use to tell me when something is down wasn’t working. Corrected.
Wednesday 04 April 2018
- All AWEKAS data is working once again.
- Some of the data on the ‘AWEKAS’ page was cut off. Corrected.
- Same thing with the ‘In Detail’ page.
- Finished setting up the Vantage Vue console.
Saturday 31 March - Monday 02 April 2018
- New Davis Vantage Vue weather station installed on Saturday. All works fine (it has been raining lots, so nice for that to be tested at an early stage). The data is much more precise and accurate compared to the old station.
- The station is now installed on the main roof which means the wind sensors are much less restricted by retaining walls (a problem with the location of the old station). New photos to follow.
- There have been various tweaks to the settings behind the scenes and on this website with regards to how things work and how data is displayed.
- Various server restarts to test settings etc.
- I have set-up a script on the server which emails me when live data stops uploading. It runs a check every 30 minutes. Of course, if the server goes down then the script will not work but AWEKAS will eventually email me.
- Of which, they have (understandably) blocked all my sensors following bogus data. I am in contact with them to get it unlocked.
- The ‘Other Data’ page now includes a Clientraw parser.
- The main Weather Display screenshot image on the ‘In Detail’ page now properly displays all of itself. Some of the problem with this occurred during the automatic weekly restart of the server. Corrected.
- All of the ‘All time weather records’ (coldest day, warmest night etc) have been reset to start again in light of the new station install. These will eventually populate over time. Historical data of course remains.
- A few more tweaks still need doing.
- Updated Weather Display to version 10.37S build 69.
- The server is currently running 4GB RAM and has been since purchase. Another 4GB has been ordered and will be fitted shortly. The ‘Technical’ page has already been updated in anticipation of this.
- Finally, thank you to the La Crosse WS-2350 which had been running almost continuously since 2009.
Friday 23 March 2018
- Server restarted and data irregularities will be present due to testing.
- The ‘In Detail’ page now shows rainfall as mm to match the rest of the website.
Thursday 22 March 2018
- You may notice some weather data irregularities late last night. The new Davis weather station has arrived. All tested and it works OK. I had to restart the server to test some settings and install an update.
Saturday 17 March 2018
- Preparation work is underway for the new weather station - sorting cables, adding extensions gangs etc. The new station should be here soon - delivery has been delayed for the past few weeks.
- I have figured out a way to add the new station onto a UPS for backup power. As is it going to be installed in a different location, this was going to be tricky but is now sorted.
- Some webcam images were showing odd colours due to a weak wi-fi signal. This has hopefully been corrected - a wireless repeater has been installed nearby. The one downside to this is that the webcam power supply is protected by a UPS but the wireless connection/repeater is not.
Monday 05 March 2018
- Several server restarts over the last week. Mainly to correct data not uploading to the ‘Home/Live Data’ page.
Saturday 24 February 2018
- NEW WEATHER STATION COMING SOON! I’ve never been overly impressed with the La Crosse WS-2350. Wind speed errors and average data accuracy for one, alongside other quirks. The rain collector has broken and replacements are no longer made. The other instruments are starting to wear out as well in places. It has done well - being in service since September 2009.
- To this end, I am hugely pleased to announce that I have ordered a Davis Vantage Vue with USB data logger. Davis are known for their legendary reliability and quality equipment. The new station will be in a different location to the existing one, which is sheltered by walls on two sides. The new location will be roof-level and be mounted in an area as open as possible. This does however, depend on the wireless range of the Vue. Testing and fitting will commence ASAP. The overall location of the station is always going to be slightly prohibited by some obstructions due to the nature of the building I live in. Either way, exciting times and it will be a vast improvement on the current system.
- I’ve already done a trawl of this website, external data sites etc to update them and add the new station details.
- I am also working on a UV sensor as well. More details soon.
- The server now restarts early every Sunday morning. Several restarts to test this. Reason being that so much is happening, a weekly restart is necessary. This should fix the ‘webcam images from the day’ feature not always uploading.
Friday 16 February 2018
- Updated photos added to the ‘Photos’ page.
- Server restarted.
Sunday 04 February 2018
- Anemometer better aligned.
- I had a look at the rain collector. Unblocked it, levelled it and cleaned the contacts of the connections. I had a look inside too. It is still broken. I will look into getting a replacement - hopefully it is the unit and not anything else. Whilst I was there, I drilled two holes in the platform so water can drain out better.
Monday 29 January 2018
Sunday 28 January 2018
Thursday 25 January 2018
Wednesday 24 January 2018
- Server restarted.
- All day video wasn’t working due to a software error. Hopefully corrected.
- I am now happy with the positioning of the webcam.
- Attempted to upgrade webcam firmware. Webcam now down again! Seeking advice.
Sunday 21 January 2018
- Webcam back online. As suspected - it is on the edge of the wi-fi signal. Adjusting the antenna corrected the problem.
- Data stopped uploading about 06:00 due to an error. Restarting the FTP uploader corrected this.
Tuesday 16 January 2018
- Many of the ‘all time weather records’ (like lowest temperature) have been reset as they were way off.
Sunday 14 January 2018
- Finished going through the website removing redundant content, updating details etc. Mainly on the ‘Technical’ page but others too. The last thing to do is add new photos.
- WAP graphs on the ‘Other Data’ page removed as a result of these updates. These graphs were long depreciated anyway.
- Carried out some barometer calibrations.
Friday 12 January 2018
- Weather data wasn’t being generated to many sources (since Sunday it seems) including pretty much all ‘Published Data’ sources, Talking Weather, etc. Corrected by restarting the server.
- Updated Weather Display to version 10.37S build 62.
Sunday 07 January/Monday 08 January 2018
- Server offline for a while. Also, restarted a few times and some OS updates installed.
Wednesday 13 December 2017
- Various updates over the last couple of weeks or so.
- The webcam isn’t working properly - I think perhaps it is not getting a great signal. The IR lights are working though so it is getting power. It stopped working when I was trying to do final positioning adjustments.
- Router UPS died. The old server UPS has taken its place and a new UPS has been installed for the server etc. Some total down time whilst this was done. Various alterations to UPS software.
- To this end, the ‘Service Status’ page no longer displays UPS information for various reasons.
- Full trawl of this website with various updates, fixing broken links, updating text etc. Some more still to do.
- ‘UK Overview’, ‘Pollen Count’ and ‘Pressure Charts’ pages deleted - it is getting harder to display this data as single images. Some of this has been incorporated as links on the ‘Met Office Links’ page which has been moved to the top of the ‘External Data’ menu.
- Server almost fully updated with several restarts.
- Updated Weather Display to version 10.37S build 61.
- ‘Climate Data’ links added for 2018.
- The ‘Bookmark’ link at the top of each page doesn’t display an image on Firefox. Text displays instead and now fully.
- Re/ live data on the front and ‘CRT’ pages: it still wasn’t working on Google Chrome. Corrected via alternative coding. Now, Chrome will ask (if you are visiting for the first time) if you want to run Flash, rather than displaying an error.
Tuesday 21 November 2017
- The live data wasn’t displaying in Google Chrome. Corrected by removing the domain forwarding mask (so the longer, actual URLs for each page are now displayed in the address bar). Unsure why this has come about. Whilst the URLs in the address bar now look messy, it is easier to note down links etc. Many links (webcam images for example) open in new windows/tabs when clicked on and display these ‘full’ addresses anyway.
- I think the rain collector needs resetting or is clogged. Will sort (hopefully) when I do the final webcam adjustments.
Friday 17 November 2017
Monday 23 October 2017
- Server restarted a few times to install updates and test some settings.
Tuesday 10 October 2017
- The 02:00 image wasn’t updating on the ‘Webcam images from the day’ feature. Corrected.
Saturday 23 September 2017
- ‘Webcam’ page blurb edited to remove an old reference to the roof where it used to be located.
Saturday 16 September 2017
- More webcam adjustments - almost there. The height is correct now; just needs some panning and tilting.
Thursday 14 September 2017
- Webcam images from the day all tested and now works fine.
- Also on the ‘Webcam’ page - text edited to tell users which direction the webcam now points at.
- Server restarted to install updates.
Monday 11 September 2017
- Webcam went down about 02:00 this morning. Restarting has fixed. Was hopefully just a glitch.
Sunday 10 September 2017
- Fixed the webcam blank reset feature on the ‘Webcam’ page (this resets all images from the day to blank around midnight). Some were being reset again at 01:00.
- Some images from the day on the ‘Webcam’ page were duplicates/wrong times. Have hopefully corrected.
Thursday 07 September 2017
- Over the past couple of days, I have been weather-sealing holes where cables go, doing a general tidy up of the station outside etc.
- Webcam still seems fine. I have adjusted again but still needs to point higher.
- Time-Lapse video bitrate is now higher (was 1024kbps; now 1800kbps).
Tuesday 05 September 2017
- Server was slow so restarted.
- Webcam properly installed and seems to be working fine. The picture and exact webcam position still needs tweaking.
- Other cables associated with the weather station are now properly secured.
Monday 04 September 2017
- The new webcam has arrived and is much better than the existing one. It is now on test as of a couple of days ago. It will be fitted this week.
- Update - needs tweaking but now on test outside.
Monday 21 August 2017
Saturday 19 August 2017
- Server restarted to install updates.
- New webcam selected. Will order and fit soon.
Friday 28 July 2017
- Server restarted to install updates.
Saturday 03 June 2017
- Server was partly playing up so restarted a couple of times.
- Started to go through this website fixing out-of-date lat/long, text etc.
Sunday 28 May 2017
- Installed the rain tipper in a more permanent fashion. I forgot to disconnect it straight away, so when I was taking the old bracket off, drilling holes, cleaning it etc, the device was tipping (ie/ thinking it was raining!) so there are some erroneous rain readings for today. I will start work on installing the webcam permanently soon (and indeed getting it to work again).
Thursday 25 May 2017
- Updates installed and server restarted a few times.
Friday 21 April 2017
- The webcam is broken. I can still login to it but no picture. Typical. The power supply is making a strange noise so that could be the source of the issue which in turn may have broken the camera. I have unplugged it for now.
- Server restarted to install updates.
Wednesday 12 April 2017
- Webcam on test - power supply fitted last night. Seems OK at present. The webcam itself needs repositioning.
- The parts have arrived for me to build and fit a rain collector shelf and better fit the webcam. Will get to it soon.
- The weather station unit no longer seems to be cutting out following the work I did outside over a week back. That being said, I had to unplug the data connection last night to tidy up the cable. It needs a reset. I will sort later.
Tuesday 02 April 2017
- Webcam and associated kit was installed outside on Sunday. It has been installed in a different location than planned - it is mounted with most of the other instruments so in a more accessible location. Along with the rain collector, it still needs to be fitted permanently (of which I need to come up with a way of doing so buy purchasing some brackets or something similar. So, it may move it a bit in the wind but is secure enough for now.
- Temperature sensor moved into more of a sheltered position as it was in direct sunlight therefore giving false readings when it was sunny.
- Other instruments aligned better as they were at a slant. The rain collector now works as a result.
- More work on the webcam last night. Despite testing voltage drop, the camera wasn’t working after the Sunday install so I’ve added a more powerful power supply. Will need to test long-term but for now the webcam is totally off until I can solder the connectors, which should be tomorrow.
Saturday 01 April 2017
- Several server restarts for updates and testing.
- Weather station unit keep losing connection every few days. Restarted today. Will keep an eye still.
Thursday 30 March 2017
- Several server restarts over the last week - had to reset some registry settings due to an error.
- The weather station unit has lost connection to the weather station instruments twice resulting in a data flatline. Resetting fixes the problem but I will monitor the situation.
- UPS logs are getting there.
Monday 13 and Tuesday 14 March 2017
- Restarted server.
- Updated Weather Display to version 10.37S build 43.
- Over the past few days, have implemented a better way of generating seasonal images. ‘Seasonal Images’ page updated to include clickable and larger images etc. This page is using temporary images at present - actual ones will upload throughout the year and beyond.
- ‘Climate Data’ page updated to include data disclaimers, eg/ the old data when the station was relocated earlier this year. This also includes a disclaimer explaining about the wind speed data issue, where erratic speeds are reported. I was going to manually correct this data but there is too much, it would still be relatively inaccurate and it would take a massive amount of time to do.
- ‘Service Status’ page updated.
Wednesday 08 March 2017
Monday 06 March 2017
- ‘Photos’ page updated to reflect new photos on the way.
- ‘Webcam’ page spaced out better at the bottom.
Sunday 05 March 2017
- Several server restarts due to tweaking.
- Webcam has been moved to another temporary location - closer to where it will actually be.
Wednesday 01 March 2017
- ‘In Detail’ page height adjusted so there is less of a gap at the bottom.
Tuesday 28 February 2017
- Webcam ‘Images from the day’ and the time-lapse video are all working (that being said, the webcam has not updated due to some security settings I got wrong. Corrected). The webcam will be fitted in its proper location at some stage.
- ‘Images from the day’ are no longer on the ‘In Detail’ page as of a few days ago but the live webcam still is. Aspect ratio for this corrected and image made clickable for full version (basically code copied from the ‘Webcam’ page to the ‘In Detail’ page).
- The Weather Display Live CRT page wasn’t working. Corrected.
- Data wasn’t showing on the ‘Met Office WOW’ and ‘Wetter’ pages. Corrected.
- Data wasn’t uploading to the ‘Wunderground’ page. Corrected.
- Server restarted twice.
- Server backup network connections started setting up/testing.
- I am working on a way to display data from both UPS’s on this website (as the two are in different locations).
- I had a look at the newly fitted station from afar the other day and it is at an angle. The rain tipper isn’t working as a result. Will sort soon.
Thursday 24 February 2017
- Webcam ‘Images from during the day’ should be fully working now, including the midnight reset.
- Webcam image enlarged slightly and now clickable for the full version.
- Time-lapse video set to the correct size and should now be updating - it was uploading to a bogus location.
- UPS for the router connected. The router and the server/associated kit are in two locations and both protected by backup batteries now.
Tuesday 21 February 2017
- The weather station is once again updating all data - it was fitted and connected during Sunday and the early hours of Monday. I expect some improvements to the location or maybe its fittings will come in due course. The wiring at the server-end took a lot of trial and error but it now works.
- Webcam is progressing. Many more tweaks required. Re/ ‘Images from during the day’ - I am not getting anywhere with existing software so have decided to write my own codes and commands which are now on test. After trying to get past various software bugs and other issues, it is almost done. This means that on the ‘Webcam’ page, ‘images from during the day’ is now done in-house via the server, produced in the correct aspect ratio and now features every half hour of a day (rather than just most half hours). Some images still need the correct URL and the midnight reset hasn’t yet been coded.
- Various other improvements behind the scenes for how the webcam works, including simplifying old commands, deleting many others etc.
- The time-lapse video works (again all has been simplified/improved) but wasn’t uploading properly. Tis is also down to a software bug. Some changes have been made - we shall see if it works later.
Thursday 16 February 2017
- Various work and updates on the webcam with more to do. ‘Seasonal Images’ commands are well out of date, hence blank images. Time lapse sort of worked. Developments and tweaking continues.
Tuesday 14 February 2017
- New webcam on test in the ‘server room’. For a start, ‘Images from the day’ doesn’t seem to work. The size needs adjusting too. It will be interesting to see if the time lapse video works later.
Monday 13 February 2017
- The old weather station instruments were removed yesterday, along with the broken webcam and housing. All gaps where screws used to be etc were sealed. You would never really know a station was there as very little clues remain that it ever was. The old station is dirty and some cabling brittle, but in OK condition. Perhaps in the coming years, it is time to replace the old station. The bracket in the new location is mostly fitted but as I had to do lots of other work at the old location, the station has still not been reinstalled. It will be ASAP.
Saturday 11 February 2017
- RSS restored a few nights back and various background changes to the server. Hoping to get all weather sensors running this weekend.
Tuesday 07 February 2017
- The server and most associated kit were moved on Sunday. The main weather station unit has been moved and connected to the server however the weather station sensors are still in the old location (ie/ the barometer, rain collector etc). So, some data like internal temperature works but ignore outdoor temperature, wind speed etc. I will try and move the sensors to the new location at the weekend and maybe even set-up the new webcam. Other services like RSS and the UPS log are not working well or at all due to various reasons. At some stage I’ll go through the entire website and update anything that needs it.
Tuesday 17 January 2017
- Updated Weather Display to version 10.37S build 41. We shall see if the FTP issue has been fixed or if it crashes the machine in the coming days (see entries below).
Friday 13 January 2017
- Apparently, the FTP issue in Weather Display has been fixed. I shall update the software at some stage.
- ‘Wedaal’ page removed - I received an email to say the service is closing in April so thought it would be best to remove it now.
- The weather station will be physically moved at the start of February. I will update any co-ordinates, photos of the station etc on here when it is installed (let’s hope the new cabling I have installed works). The new webcam will be installed soon after (I know I said it would be back in 2016). To this end, whilst the station and server are moved, I anticipate it will take time to install and test. I will try and get everything sorted as quickly as possible, but there will be some down time during February. I will post any updates on here. This website will remain online but data may be old.
Monday 26 December 2016
- Usual update of copyrights and adding 2017 links onto the ‘Climate Data’ page ready for the new year.
Sunday 20 November 2016
- Had to restart the server due to this ‘Internet’ issue. It is to do with the Weather Display FTP uploader. I am now using an old version of the uploader to see if it ‘fixes’ the issue.
Friday 18 November 2016
- Weather Display is now running as of yesterday. The server was in good shape so this Internet error, as suspected, was likely a Weather Display issue. We shall see how things go.
Monday 14 November 2016
- Server restarted again due to the Internet issue as described below. I’ve installed operating system updates to see if that helps. To this end, there have been a few restarts.
- Updated Weather Display to version 10.37S build 28.
- Updating Weather Display may have fixed the issue. I’m going to run the server for a few days though without Weather Display open to see what happens. So, no data will be uploaded for some of this week.
Monday 07 November 2016
- Server restarted again the other day due to the Internet ‘dying’. Still not sure why this is happening.
Sunday 30 October 2016
- Server restarted several times again as it went ‘down’. Same issue as below. I have installed an operating system update but it seems ‘Weather Display’ could be the issue. To this end:
- Updated Weather Display to version 10.37S build 26.
Monday 24 October 2016
- Server restarted several times over the last few days. The Internet seems to die. I have had a looked around and can’t see anything obvious. I will keep an eye. During all this, I discovered RSS was down due to a settings error. Fixed.
Monday 17 October 2016
- Server restarted - Internet seemed to die.
Saturday 15 October 2016
- I didn’t seek advice in the end ref/ the Task Scheduler issue listed below. It now appears to be working. I will monitor it.
Friday 14 October 2016
- Server restarted - something is wrong with the Task Scheduler or related software which I am seeking advice on. It keeps crashing/re-trying and ‘clogging up’ almost everything (hence the crash). ‘Talking Weather’ and some other services will not update for a bit. Not sure why it should start causing issues now.
Monday 10 October 2016
- The server updated itself to the latest version of Windows a week or so back, so I took the opportunity to check all setting, update all other software, defragment the disks etc.
- Updated Weather Display to version 10.37S build 23.
- The wind speed error has been corrected several times again over the last few days.
- There was a power-cut today but this actually did it a favour as it tested the server auto power-on feature after a power-cut and it worked. Excellent.
- There have been several server restarts recently for various reasons.
Monday 05 September 2016
- Wind speed error corrected again. I don’t think it is feasible to manually correct all past erroneous data. I might have to put a generic message on the ‘Climate Data’ page instead saying some data may be incorrect.
Thursday 25 August 2016
- Twitter needed verification again.
- The wind speed error occurred. All seems well now and I have ‘reset’ the all time values.
- The server restarted itself some time recently, presumably to install updates.
- Weather Display appeared to crash overnight. Restarted the whole server.
Monday 01 August 2016
- Twitter needed verification. Sorted - should hopefully last.
Thursday 28 July 2016
- UPS log cleared.
- Server restarted twice.
Sunday 03 July 2016
- The power tripped yesterday and the UPS backup battery ran out of juice. The server still didn’t automatically reboot after this power failure. Something to look at in the future. Restarted manually.
Monday 27 June 2016
- Restarted the server to install updates.
- There was some downtime on Saturday as I was fitting some new powerline (ethernet-over-mains) adaptors to increase the speed. The Ebuyer ones have been retired after several years and replaced by much faster Netgear ones. Updated the ‘Technical’ page to reflect this.
- Server UPS setting still wasn’t quite right. I have changed the setting so after a prolonged power-cut (ie/ if the UPS totally drains), the server should power on again when electricity is restored.
Wednesday 04 May 2016
Monday 02/Tuesday 03 May 2016
- A month or so back, I was informed that my Virgin Media free webspace would be closing down (most stuff was hosted on the main FTP server but some wasn’t (like webcam images) due to limited simultaneous logins - this has now been resolved). I started to ensure everything was uploaded onto my main FTP server only but never finished. I have now completed this task. I have updated the ‘Technical’ and ‘Webcam’ (for what it’s worth) pages to reflect these changes. Had a scout through various pages and external websites where the webcam image appears and have updated links.
- The Twitter feed now updates every hour rather than every half hour. ‘Twitter’ page updated to reflect this.
- Had a look through various other pages and updated as necessary.
Friday 22 April 2016
- Server restarted due to network connection issues. No data was uploaded for a few hours Thursday night/early Friday morning due to these issues.
Monday 18 April 2016
Friday 15 April 2016
- Server restarted to install some updates.
Tuesday 22 March 2016
- Server restarted to install some updates.
Friday 04 March 2016
- Server restarted. I think a Twitter error kept popping up and crashed it. Should be fixed which in turn has fixed the Twitter feed.
Tuesday 09 February 2016
- Server restarted a few times to install updates and try and fix wireless backup - the old Tenda USB stuick is broken, so have installed a spare I had. To this end, updated the ‘Technical’ page.
- Reset the UPS log.
- A new internet modem/router was installed about a week ago so have been testing and configuring that. All seems well. RSS feeds were down for a while as they were not configured but should be working now.
Monday 25 January 2016
- There was a power-cut yesterday. The server was off for several hours after the battery died. To this end, I have changed the settings when this occurs. From now on, the server will stay on as long as possible during a power-cut but will die when the battery does. Whilst this means the server will no longer gracefully shut down, it will however automatically switch back on when power is restored, meaning I don’t have to be around to power it up after a prolonged power outage. This has been tested and works fine.
Friday 08 January 2016
- Restarted the server to install updates.
- Forgot to say, a couple of weeks back, newer versions of Google Chrome were not displaying the live data on the front page (a ‘serial number’ error was appearing). This was a Chrome issue and now appears to be corrected.
Monday 28 December 2015
- Over the last few days, the server has had the latest Windows 10 build installed. So, settings tweaked etc.
- Other server updates installed, server cleaned, defragmented etc and other behind-the-scenes changes and improvements.
- Server has had to be restarted various times.
- Updated Weather Display to 10.37R build 306.
- Wind speed was off again on Christmas Eve. Manually reset.
- 2016 table added in preparation for the new year on the ‘Climate Data’ page.
- 2016 will see the return of the webcam.
Friday 20 November 2015
- Wind speed fixed and I now know what to do if it happens again. It does mean some data is off although I have manually inputted all wind speed records to a very low level. These will of course set themselves to ‘true’ data over time.
- There was also some downtime today as some work in the house was done and this required the internet to be disconnected.
Thursday 19 November 2015
- Wind speeds are showing crazy figures again. Several restarts etc (this has also enabled updates to be installed!) but cannot seem to fix it.
- Updated Weather Display to 10.37R build 302.
Wednesday 04 November 2015
- Power cut yesterday (see the UPS log on the ‘Service Status’ page). Due to the way the server is set-up, it will power down when the UPS battery is low but as it does this, cannot automatically power up again when electricity is restored (it is actually set to do so but this is ignored due to the graceful shutdown). Anyway, all back on.
Tuesday 13 October 2015
- Updated and restarted server.
- Updated Weather Display to 10.37R build 296.
- New mains cable installed for the new webcam over the weekend. The camera will be installed later this year/start of next year when the whole weather station moves to a new address.
Friday 04 September 2015
- All seems well apart from the Twitter feed going down again yesterday. Restarted the server today to install an update.
Sunday 30/Monday 31 August 2015
- Server transfer complete, all links tested etc.
- Live data on the front page is back - some slight rearrangements on the main page and CRT page for better layout (mostly the heartbeat monitor).
- The Beaufort scale is now displayed on the front page wind speed dials.
- ‘Weather Cloud’ data uploading and page set-up/complete. Restarted the server to test.
Friday 21/Saturday 22 August 2015
- As if upgrading the operating system on the server wasn’t time-consuming enough, the website hosting has been changed. Links and services are gradually coming back online and most stuff website-end is done but need to check. Some services Server-end still need pointing to the new address. No live data on the front page until I receive a new licence key.
- A later edit: have been busy checking all pages, making adjustments to the server, checking dead links etc. More to check. Different methods of uploading implemented and a general tidy-up.
- ‘WAP/Other Data’ is now just called ‘Other Data’ with WAP still listed at the bottom.
- Signed up for ‘Weather Cloud’ and this is on test.
- ‘Wetter’ wasn’t working. Fixed.
- The ‘make us your home page’ link at the top of each page has been deleted as it didn’t really do anything.
- Restarted the server.
Wednesday 19/Thursday 20 August 2015
- Server upgraded to Windows 10. Updated the ‘Technical’ page to reflect this. Several restarts. All seems well but there are bound to be issues. These will be corrected over time.
- Software update for almost everything.
- Cleared the UPS (backup battery) log.
- Updated Weather Display to 10.37R build 289.
- Later today (Thursday): been checking this website since the server upgrade and most seems well.
- At the same time, the ‘Wedaal’ page has been updated to show current data first and the ‘Wap/Other Data’ page updated as Yahoo! Widgets have long been discontinued so have removed all references to that.
Monday 17 August 2015
- Updated Weather Display to 10.37R build 288 which should fix these Twitter issues. Had to restart the server a couple of times.
Tuesday 04 August 2015
- Twitter again.
- Slight adjustment to the ‘In Detail’ page as not all data was showing on some browsers.
Friday 31 July 2015
- Restarted the server to test backup settings.
Wednesday 29 July 2015
- ‘Weather Display’ has had a re-jig in a way and some bugs had to be sorted. Seems fine now. Restarted the server a few times. For reference, now running Weather Display 10.37R build 281.
- Twitter broken again. Hopefully fixed.
Thursday 23 July 2015
Tuesday 14 July 2015
- Various server updates carried out along with a reboot.
Thursday 09/Friday 10 July 2015
- Had a look through the website and corrected dead links etc.
- The ‘Talking Weather’ page now has a more universally supported media player for audio playback.
Monday 22 June 2015
- Wind speed data was playing up again. Restarted Weather Display.
Wednesday 03 June 2015
- Operating system updates installed and server restarted.
Saturday 23 May 2015
- Wind speed data was way off (as sometimes happens for reasons unknown). Station receiver and server reboot. Not sure if that will fix the problem.
- PS/ new webcam purchased several weeks back but it will be a while until it is fitted.
Wednesday 06/Thursday 07 May 2015
- ‘Climate Data’ page easier to read - all data for each year is now contained to its corresponding table.
- Donate button added. ‘Technical’ page updated to reflect the addition of this button (and separately to change the webcam blurb - was still mentioning the old USB webcam!)
Tuesday 28/Wednesday 29 April 2015
- Realised that the climate data links for 2015 had not been put onto the ‘Climate Data’ page. All added.
- Some changes have been made to the way the UPS data is added to the ‘Service Status’ page. No difference to the way it works though. Due to these changes, the log files on the same page have been removed. They used to detail uptime and downtime for the website.
- Various updates to the server complete with a restart.
- At some stage during this year, the weather station is going to move location, ie/ not a different part of the roof but to a total new location. The initial thought was to keep the station going but not put it online due to server/electricity costs. However, the station will continue online via a lower cost server, likely in the form of a laptop or similar to keep costs down. Updated photos etc of the station and its new location will be added. Plans are in place to replace the broken webcam too!
Thursday 12 March 2015
- Server crash - looked into and restarted a few times. Some updates installed.
Monday 23 February 2015
- Server partly crashed again so restarted.
Friday 06 February 2015
- Server crashed so restarted.
Sunday 18/Monday 19 January 2015
- Server updates etc. Some server restarts.
Sunday 19 October 2014
- Server crash. Had to restart. Will keep an eye on it.
Wednesday 15/Thursday 16 October 2014
- Full server update, clean etc. Several restarts.
Friday 12 September 2014
- Checked out the webcam and it indeed is dead. No idea when I can get another as I have other things happening at present so there will be no webcam indefinitely. Apologies.
Wednesday 10 September 2014
- I am aware of webcam issues - a quick look indicates there is a big fault or it is dead. May take some time to look into/fix.
Tuesday 02 September 2014
- Had chimney repairs done recently, so repositioned the webcam today as it had to be taken down and put back up for the work to take place.
Sunday 20 July 2014
- Met Office Weather Widgets were not working on the ‘Forecast’ page so these have been removed. Oddly, the one on the ‘Weather Warnings’ page still works.
- This page (‘Updates’) was getting too big so pre-2014 updates now have their own page to break things up.
Sunday 20 July 2014
- More small updates to the website.
Friday 18 July 2014/Saturday 19 July 2014
- In light of recent weather and forecast weather (sun, rain, thunderstorms...), I have been though pretty much the entire website and made numerous corrections, fixed broken images etc.
- Added a new page - ‘UK Overview’ which is just that - an overview of current UK weather.
- The time-lapse video is now Flash. Should work more universally rather than the existing .wmv file format.
Wednesday 16 July 2014
- Full server update etc. Had to restart.
Tuesday 17 June 2014
- Full server update etc. Had to restart several times.
Sunday 01 June 2014
- House power-cut this afternoon. Apologies for any offline time.
Thursday 15 May 2014
- Some server updates installed. Restarted the server.
Sunday 27 April 2014
- Full server update etc. Had to restart a few times.
- Updated Weather Display to version 10.37R build 81.
- Server software had some errors etc - fixed.
- Webcam wasn't working due to settings errors; probably due to the recent crash. Fixed.
- Did some work on the roof today. Anemometer slightly moved.
Friday 25 April 2014
- Server crashed yesterday evening so no new data was uploaded. Restarted in the early hours today.
Tuesday 04 March 2014
- Oops - an old holding page was online instead of the website. Corrected!
Sunday 02 March 2014
- Removed the ‘important’ message blurb at the top of the ‘Home/Live Data’ page.
- Full server update, clean etc.
- Restarted the server.
Sunday 16 January/Monday 17 January 2014
- Full server update, clean etc.
- Images from the day feature wasn't working. Corrected.
- ‘Seasonal Images’ wasn't downloading the correct image automatically. Corrected all commands. The image for this month is a day out and was manually uploaded.
Monday 27 January/Tuesday 28 January/Wednesday 29 January 2014
- Full server update, clean etc. Several restarts as Weather Display was booting twice.
- Updated Weather Display to version 10.37R build 80.
- Camera got stuck today (Wednesday) due to a software fault. Corrected.
Wednesday 15 January 2014
- The date of the last entry was wrong - changed to ‘2014’!
- Seasonal webcam image didn’t work. Uploaded manually.
Wednesday 01 January 2014
- The router crashed again following a power cut. Reset and all is well.
- There was a gap at the top of each page following changes. Corrected.
- Also, following some updates, the front page/main weather data wasn’t loading. Corrected.
- UPS log cleared and width extended on the ‘Service Status’ page.
- Slight edit to the diagram on the ‘Technical’ page.
- Finished better aligning items on the front page for easier reading and better fullscreen mode.
Older updates from 2010 - 2013 can be found here.
Back to top