This pages details old updates from 2010 - 2013 and as such will not contain any new updates. Current development can be found here.
Monday 30 December 2013/Tuesday 31 December 2013
- The router crashed some time overnight. A restart sorted but no new data was uploaded for several hours. Historical data has of course been saved though.
- Following the crash, I have changed some server settings to prevent loads of log files/web pages opening showing various errors.
- Added proper ‘alt’ text on this website to the Twitter icon.
- The ‘Forecast’ page was messy and turning into an advert page, so I have removed ‘Metcheck’.
- Also on the ‘Forecast’ page, the Met Office Widgets are broken. I initially thought this was a problem OTronics-end but is in fact a Met Office error. I have contacted them. Interestingly, the Widget on the ‘Weather Warnings’ page still works.
- I have updated some text on the ‘Weather Warnings’ page.
- Data on the ‘Tides’ page was getting chopped in some browsers. Corrected.
- I think the rainfall setting (see the next entry down) has made an impact - more accurate data (not rounding up or down now). Need the rainfall gauge to be set at zero and for it to start raining for a true test though.
- Changed the Twitter time out setting server-end to help prevent an error (just affects the server, not the data).
- Some behind-the-scenes website settings changes.
- Since the recent webcam changes, the image on the ‘In Detail’ page has been broken. Fixed, and the webcam images now automatically refreshes every 60 seconds too like the main webcam page.
- The webcam image on the ‘AWEKAS’ page has also been restored.
- Webcam feature now works again on the ‘Home/Live Data’ pages (both the main and CRT versions).
- Alt text added to webcam images.
- Webcam image now shows on the ‘In Detail’ ‘Weather Display main screen’ image (although the image is smaller).
- ‘Climate Data’ page ready for 2014.
- Spaced out the rainfall meters better on the main ‘Home/Live Data’ page. Still needs tweaking though.
Friday 27 December 2013
- Webcam seems fine after several days (all services). Changed some settings a few days ago behind the scenes.
- Changed a rainfall setting today (don’t think it will have much/any impact though).
Friday 20 December 2013
- Webcam adjustments and I think it’s sorted now. Everything is now uploaded server-end. This does have a disadvantage: it used to be that if the server goes down, the webcam image would still upload but this is now not the case. We’ll see how it goes.
- Petty much a full server update etc. Had to restart three times.
- Updated Weather Display to version 10.37R build 79.
- Slight layout change to the ‘Home/Live Data’ page.
Monday 10 December 2013
- Webcam still not there - some messing around today and I think I have sorted ‘Images from the day’.
- Also, while trying to sort the above, I realised I deleted the software that makes the ‘Seasonal Images’ work. Oops. Reinstalled, tested and all images should be updated as time goes by in 2014!
Friday 06 December 2013
- After some tweaking, I think all webcam problems are fixed.
Friday 29 November 2013
- Full server update etc including restart.
- Updated Weather Display to version 10.37R build 78.
- Webcam troubles still. Not entirely sure why but looking into.
Friday 15 November 2013
- Webcam was dropping out. A restart seems to have fixed it.
Saturday 09 November/Sunday 10 November 2013
- Server crash. Had to restart.
- Many updates to the website. ‘Add to favourites’ button at the top of each page has been removed (only worked for one browser anyway) and has been replaced with a link to the Twitter Feed.
- Extra space added at the bottom of each page (really just affects pages with little content to make it look better).
- Wording altered on various pages, things adjusted up etc.
- ‘Wetter’ page added and data feed set up.
- ‘Forecast’ page updated with new links and widgets.
- ‘SW Warnings’ is now ‘Weather Warnings’ and has new links etc. There is now a warning widget covering the whole UK, as well as the SW specific still.
- ‘Air Pollution’ has a graph again and other details/links.
- ‘Webcam’ page also has the ‘images from the day’ added. They are still on the ‘In Detail’ page too.
Sunday 27 October 2013
- Server updates etc.
- Updated Weather Display to version 10.37R build 76.
Wednesday 02 October 2013
- Server troubles again. Cleaned up, updated virus scanner etc and a reboot.
- Updated Weather Display to version 10.37R build 75.
Monday 23 September 2013
- General update and clean of server. Some parts (including weather data upload) had crashed overnight and a reboot was needed anyway. In fact, two reboots. Looks like weather data is intact though.
- Updated Weather Display to version 10.37R build 74.
Friday 06 September 2013
- Nope - ‘Images From The Day’ still broken but fixed now - a setting needed adjusting.
Thursday 05 September 2013
- ‘Images From The Day’ feature still wasn’t working properly - changed several things around. Should be OK now...
Wednesday 04 September 2013
- Full server update, tweak, cleanup etc.
- ‘Images From The Day’ feature wasn’t working properly (some images were blank) due to a issue server-end. Implemented an alternative way of getting the images which involves less software. Should be OK now.
Friday 23 August 2013
- A bit later than planned but webcam all up and running again (ie/ it has been plugged in!)
Monday 19 August 2013
- Webcam off (and picture stuck) for a bit for the sole reason we were doing work to the television antennas yesterday, cut power to the booster and as a result the webcam too. A long story. So, for now, the webcam literally and simply has no power going to it. I need to get back into the loft to complete and fix. ETA: this Wednesday evening.
Tuesday 06 August 2013
- Server restart to update the virus scanner.
- Restarted the webcam too as there were dropouts.
Thursday 25 July 2013
- Full server updates, tweaks etc. Had to restart the server twice.
- Updated Weather Display to version 10.37R build 69.
- Sorted some issues with the server real-time backup sync. Formatted the backup disk and started again.
Wednesday 26 June 2013
- Server had crashed so I had to force a restart. It seemed to lose some settings too. Restarted again to make sure all was well. Did some cleaning and tweaks which may have helped.
- Twitter feed was not updating. Fixed as it needed authorising.
- Edited the ‘Twitter’ page including adding a new widget displaying the feed. Much better and the old one didn’t seem to be working anyway.
- Swapped the ‘Time-Lapse’ and ‘Seasonal Images’ buttons around. Better that way and makes more sense.
Wednesday 19 June 2013
- I was alerted to an odd problem this morning. I won’t go into much detail but new data wasn’t uploading. All fixed now and historic data should be complete, ie/ no effect of this problem can be seen.
Monday 17 June 2013/Tuesday 18 June 2013
- Full server update etc, including updating webcam firmware. Had to reboot server (and it really needed it after for the updates!)
Wednesday 15 May 2013
- Full server update etc.
- Updated Weather Display to version 10.37R build 62.
- Twitter data now updated every 15 minutes rather than ever 5 to prevent feeds clogging up. ‘Twitter’ page updated to reflect this.
Monday 06 May 2013
- On Saturday, I noticed weather data hadn’t uploaded for several days - apologies. Restarted the server (installing an operating system update too) and all has seemed fine since.
Tuesday 23 April 2013
- Webcam software was still getting stuck (affecting time-lapse video). Used different way of streaming. Seems fine now.
Sunday 21 April 2013
- Webcam out by an hour again. Hopefully corrected.
- The time-lapse video images were not being generated again. Updating, rebooting the server and camera seems to have fixed things. On that note:
- Full server update, defrag etc. Had to restart.
- Updated Weather Display to version 10.37R build 57.
Wednesday 17 April 2013
- I got an automated email this morning to say the time-lapse video did not upload. Just a glitch but in testing saw that the video content itself hadn’t updated for a couple of weeks or so! Webcam software error and is fixed now but of course will take a day for the video to be totally ‘fresh’ again.
Saturday 13 April 2013
- Webcam time an hour out again. Corrected using better settings.
Thursday 04 April 2013
- Corrected time on weather cam to reflect daylight savings (it doesn’t do it automatically).
Monday 01 April 2013
- Virus scanner update was tricky. All done eventually. Several server restarts. Some settings needed checking/changing too.
Sunday 17 March 2013
- Power tripped today but server didn’t come back on for some reason (trip lasted longer than the UPS could handle). Restarted manually. Apologies for the downtime.
Sunday 17 February 2013
- Server updates etc. Had to restart twice.
- Updated Weather Display to version 10.37R build 50.
Sunday 27 January 2013/Monday 28 January 2013
- Time-lapse video was playing up so yesterday (Sunday) I did a complete re-jig of how images are saved etc. It uses a way that the old server was set-up to do, but is more effective and streamlined. I forgot to check one setting so the video did not work today, but should do later tonight/tomorrow.
Wednesday 23 January 2013
- The webcam of all things was not working for some of today. It is usually very reliable. A reboot seems to have fixed it.
Sunday 20 January 2013
- Server update, cleanup etc. Reboot had to be done.
- The time-lapse video was looking strange - I think I have fixed the problem which was to do with downloading. Each frame is now downloaded from the webcam more directly.
Friday 18 January 2013
- Inner scroll bars showing on the ‘In Detail’ page. Corrected.
Tuesday 15 January 2013
- Updated the ‘Climate’ page to include 2013.
Saturday 12 January 2013
- Server issues - it got spooked out. Restarted yesterday afternoon. Some data may be missing. All OK now.
Wednesday 02 January 2013
- Various Behind-the-scenes changes and it looks like I have cured what was causing some lock-ups and crashes. Had to restart the server.
Sunday 23 December 2012
- Behind-the-scenes changes including a firmware update to the clone hard disk and settings changes to the backup hard disk. Several server restarts too.
Wednesday 19 December 2012
- Did some behind-the-scenes software updating which required some manual programming. Looks like I have got it correct. Restarted the server to test a few things as a result.
Sunday 16 December 2012
- Full server update, defrag etc.
- Had to restart the server twice.
- Updated Weather Display to version 10.37R build 45.
Tuesday 27 November 2012
- Server crashed yesterday so no new data for most of the day (fixed late last night). Apologies. Not sure why this is happening but seems OK now.
- Installed an operating system update.
Thursday 22 November 2012
- Server crashed today so no new data for many hours. Sorry. I blame the weather. All back on now but I’m not convinced the data is totally correct from today. A shame.
Tuesday 20 November 2012
- Installed operating system updates and had to restart the server as a result.
- Updated Weather Display to version 10.37R build 43.
- Some other background stuff on the server done.
Wednesday 14 November 2012
- Have had to make some changes to FTP upload settings. I have gone through all relevant commands, software etc and all seems well. Restarted the server to test.
- The graphs on the ‘Air Pollution’ page were dead. These have been removed and the page updated. The page just serves as a link to an external website with relevant data now (but is worth having). This seems the best way as there is no real good method of putting bits of data on here.
- Slight update to this page and the ‘AWEKAS’ page.
Thursday 08 - Saturday 10 November 2012
- Pretty much a full server software update.
- Changed some settings behind-the-scenes on the server. This has involved several restarts. Sorry.
- Upgraded webcam firmware.
- The time-lapse video now runs at 25 frames per second rather than 35, so you can now see more detail of the day. The ‘Time-Lapse’ page blurb has been updated to reflect this.
Wednesday 31 October 2012
- Time-lapse video seems fine.
- Edited the ‘In Detail’ page as some margins were not correct.
Wednesday 31 October 2012
- A couple of days or so ago, the wind speed reading was (obviously falsely) reaching hurricane levels. A full weather station reset seems to have fixed this, although the recorded data will be briefly incorrect.
- I am very sure I have fixed the time-lapse video problem. I used an alternative method to create the images today and the same problem occurred - the video would randomly stop without reaching the full way through. I have eventually found the problem to be 0 byte jpg files (the source files), which the video creation software does not like and has no way around. Some are randomly created due to network blips or whatever, and these are perhaps to be expected. So, to permanently ‘solve’ the problem, I have created a script to look for, and then delete all .jpg files that are 0 bytes. The video then creates, and works as normal. The proper, unattended test of course, will be later on, and in the days to come.
Saturday 27 October 2012
- New server chassis fan arrived today. All has been fitted and is well.
Thursday 25 October 2012/Friday 26 October 2012
- Finished the ‘In Detail’ page rebuild and improvements. I have removed the top drop-down menu.
- Also experimented with the website layout by moving the menu bar to the top. It was OK but I am going to leave it as is.
Tuesday 23 October 2012/Wednesday 24 October 2012
- Edited the ‘Tides’ page as some of the data was not displaying.
- Several restarts over the last few days as I had to put a disk in and wipe it. All back to normal now. I have wiped the UPS log on the ‘Service Status’ page.
- The fan I installed in the server has died. I have taken it out and ordered a new silent one.
- Time-lapse video is not sorted. Looking into.
- The main thing I have done is to almost complete the ‘In Detail’ page. Much better and more features added. Just needs last adjustments.
Thursday 18 October 2012/Friday 19 October 2012
- Some basic server maintenance and tweaks.
- The system disk is now mirrored in real-time (had to restart the server to do some tests - hopefully no more unexpected restarts now).
- I think the time-lapse video is sorted.
- Started to rebuild the ‘In Detail’ page.
Sunday 14 October 2012
- Forgot to say below that some data may obviously be incomplete/missing when the old server died.
- Today I had to restart the server for the virus scanner (and again to test something).
- I have edited the ‘Tides’ page and it seems the image is working (it didn’t with the old server). We’ll see.
- There is an error with the time-lapse video I am looking into.
- I have changed the speed of the talking weather service - the speech is now slower so is easier to listen to. I have also changed the actual text as the new voice didn’t pronounce ‘wind’ properly. So, I have added the term ‘breeze’ instead which seems to work.
- Some basic updates done and installed some CD burning software just in case it is needed.
- Updated Weather Display to version 10.37R build 42.
Wednesday 10 October 2012/Thursday 11 October 2012
- Apologies for the lack of updates, but as you can see, almost everything is back. The new server is installed and I am glad: newer operating system, more security, everything is faster and just much better. It has enabled me to use the old hard disk and mirror the ‘new’ one as an extra backup. It has taken a while - work began Monday 01 October 2012 and I still have a few things to do.
- The ‘In Detail’ page is the only thing that needs attention. It needs a rebuild as I didn’t mange to restore it from any backups. This is due to me trying to make it all work and generate from a failing backup server.
- On the server, everything is running as should and is running the latest version, disk is optimised etc.
- Weather Display is running 10.37R build 41.
- You may have noticed there was an issue with some data feeds not being updated - this was fixed last night. A font error of all things with Weather Display caused this.
- There were many other issues/errors during/since the upgrade and I almost think we wouldn’t make it but have.
- Today I have installed an extra fan in the server and installed operating system updates. I have also gone through this website and updated the ‘Technical’ and ‘Photos’ pages to reflect the new system.
- Added a download link on the ‘Time-Lapse’ page for the video.
- If you were wondering, the old server has been chucked and the backup server has also been thrown away (at the local dump) although all useful bits were pulled out of each.
- Welcome back!
Saturday 29 September 2012
- I have managed to get the backup server working, so new data on the front page should update. Some other services may not work though. There was a problem with the new version of ‘Weather Display’ so I have downgraded. Lovely. Just what I need. I am hoping the new server will be set-up, at least in part, tomorrow.
- UPDATE: backup server is not working again. It to is old and will be thrown out soon! So no weather data for now by the looks of it. Sorry.
Friday 28 September 2012
- I was doing work on the server last night. It didn’t go to plan and has finally died. I the work I did is partly to blame but I think the server was on its way out as well. It was purchased second hand and is old anyway and I have been thinking for a while that it needs to be renewed. A new system has been ordered and may be up and running by Sunday. For now, no new data will be uploaded. I did try using the backup, but this too will be chucked (which was the plan as well yesterday) as it too does not work well. Webcam will still work.
Tuesday 25 September 2012
- Did some more slight tweaks to the server today. Had to restart it.
- There is also a problem with Weather Display - some kind of bug that doesn’t upload or even generate some images on the ‘In Detail’ page properly. Not sure when a fix will occur.
Monday 24 September 2012
- Full server update, check, etc.
- Updated Weather Display to version 10.37R build 37.
Sunday 09 September 2012
- For some hours today, no new data was uploaded. I came in to find the server ‘off’ which was worrying. Looks like a power cut caused it to shut down via the UPS. All on again now. I have altered the emergency command and settings so it should now turn itself back on when power is restored.
Wednesday 29 August 2012
- Sorry for the downtime which has lasted several days (oops). There seemed to be some power problems on a morning a few days ago - the server tried to shut down, failed and the power came back on as this was happening. Many services on the server were stopped. I have written a better command for when something like this happens. The website remained active but no weather station data was uploaded. The webcam and everything else was fine. All fixed now but some data like rainfall may be inaccurate for today. Sorry.
Monday 20 August 2012
- Full server update, check etc, including updating webcam software and firmware. Had to restart the server.
- Updated Weather Display to version 10.37R build 36 (‘normal’ version seems to work again - see below).
Thursday 28 June 2012
- Pretty much a full server check, update (including webcam software), etc.
- Had to restart the server a few times (once as it didn’t boot properly, so again after a full power-down as a test). All is well.
- Updated Weather Display to version 10.37R build 30 (BETA - the ‘normal’ version crashes).
Sunday 20 May 2012
- Spent some of today on the roof. Check the wind sensor, cleaned it, and it appears to be OK. If it reports dud data again, I’ll get a new one. I have emailed AWEKAS and they have ‘unlocked’ the sensor (they disabled it due to the data problems).
- I also cleaned the outer casing of the hygrometer.
- Adjusted webcam so it points at less of the roof. Best I can do really as there is not much else up there space-wise. I did try pointing it another direction, but the image didn’t look good.
Thursday 17 May 2012
- Had to restart the server for a virus scanner update.
Tuesday 15 May 2012
- Wind speed seems to have sorted itself out so I have removed the message I put on the front page. I still want to check it out though.
- Updated important server software including operating system updates and webcam software.
- Updated Weather Display to version 10.37R build 24.
- Cleaned system disk, defragmented etc.
- Had to restart server twice.
Monday 07 May 2012
- As you may have noticed, the wind speed is way off. Something is wrong. I may have to get a new wind sensor, but may be able to fix it. I have a feeling the strong breezes the other day have something to do with it. I had a look on the roof today and at everything else, and am sure it is the sensor rather than some other error. Cleaned the rain bucket a bit when I was there. All other data, systems etc are working fine, but for now, ignore wind speed and direction data.
Monday 30 April 2012
- Updated most software on the server including webcam and a basic operating system update.
- Cleaned system disk, defragmented, checked over etc.
Thursday 19 April 2012
- Looks like the time-lapse video is really now working! Played around with it again and all seems well.
Saturday 14 April 2012
- Time-lapse video still wasn’t working. Should be fixed now after a server restart.
- The ‘images from the day’ has been adjusted to reflect old times, before the TP Link webcam was installed. Images from the past day in the gallery no longer appear through the day, waiting to be updated. Essentially, the gallery is reset to blank near the beginning of each day again.
Friday 13 April 2012
- Time-lapse video wasn’t working due to re-jig of the webcam settings as mentioned below (although I thought I did it correct). Should be fixed now after some playing around.
- While there, installed operating system updates but server needs a restart still.
Monday 09 April 2012
- Re-jig of webcam arrangements and settings behind-the-scenes. Hopefully all will work.
- Checked most software to see if it needed updating and did where necessary (including webcam software).
- Cleaned system disk.
- Restarted the server as it was running a bit slow.
Friday 30 March 2012
- New fonts for website banners and buttons.
Tuesday 27 March 2012
- Basic server maintenance - installed operating system and other updates, plus cleaned the disk.
- Updated Weather Display to version 10.37R build 23.
Thursday 22 March 2012
- The webcam went down (possibly the first time the TP Link one has) so restarted it.
Sunday 11 March 2012
- Updated some server software, including a system update.
- Updated Weather Display to version 10.37R build 20.
- Cleaned system disk.
- Updated the ‘Forecast’ page to reflect new Met Office local weather link (they have changed it) and altered some frame sizes.
Friday 27 February 2012
- Updated most, if not all server software, including system updates and webcam software. Cleaned disk, checked and defragmented etc.
- Updated Weather Display to version 10.37R build 14.
Thursday 26 January 2012
- Had a quick check around the server. All seems to be well. Installed an update and cleaned the system disk.
- Updated Weather Display to version 10.37R build 08.
Thursday 12 January 2012
- I spotted that there were no climate links for 2012 on the ‘Climate Data’ page. These have now been created.
Tuesday 10 January 2012/Wednesday 11 January 2012
- Installed operating system updates on the server.
- Updated Weather Display to version 10.37R build 05.
- Updated nearly all other bits of software that needed it, including webcam software.
- Restarted the server.
- Cleaned system disk and did some security checks.
- The log files on the ‘Service Status’ page were not working. Server error. Fixed.
Thursday 22 December 2011
- Updated basic software on the server.
- Updated Weather Display to version 10.37R build 03.
- Cleaned the server disk.
- Had to restart the server.
Monday 12 December 2011
- There was a text problem with the website. Corrected.
Sunday 11 December 2011
- Checked and updated nearly all necessary software on the server, including webcam software, Weather Display Live and operating system software.
- Updated Weather Display to version 10.37R build 02.
- Restarted the server twice.
- Cleaned and defragmented system disk.
- Checked and changed some server settings.
- Updated the webcam firmware.
- The Backup Sever is now prepared - changed some settings, made some adjustments and it is all ready in case the main server should ever fail. It will update nearly everything on the website, some external data etc. While testing it tonight, some actual live data was uploaded onto here.
Monday 28 November 2011
- Something bad happened to both wired network connections on the server Saturday afternoon, and I only discovered it last night. A reboot fixed it. Apologies for data not being uploaded.
Sunday 27 November 2011
- There has been a bit of visible sticky tack on the webcam image for some time. Got up there and sorted that today.
Friday 25 November 2011
- The CPU fan needed work so have made some adjustments. Had to restart server a few times.
- Added a Met Office widget thing to the ‘SW Warnings’ page and updated it.
- More work done on the backup server. I have installed an old Netbook to the network. If the main server ever goes down, this can come into action but will just run the basic features of ‘Weather Display’, to keep live data active.
Thursday 24 November 2011
- Finish tidying cables and connecting things from yesterday.
- Updated some of the photos on the ‘Photos’ page and made a slight edit to a comment.
Wednesday 23 November 2011
- Powered down the server and all associated equipment as planned. Off at 20:45 and back on 22:50. Cleaned and re-routed everything. Small cabling and other improvements. Disconnected one server fan. Not quite finished though.
- Backup weather server installed. Need to get it running 100%. More when its done and tested.
- Cleaned server disk.
- Updated Weather Display to version 10.37Q build 89.
Monday 21 November 2011
- This coming Wednesday 23 November from about 20:30, the server and all associated equipment will be taken offline. It needs a dust and cables to be re-routed. Service should hopefully resume from 00:00 if not before. During this time, a holding page in place of the usual website will be online. There is also a ‘new’ backup mini-weather server which can be tested during this time. Thanks.
Wednesday 16 November 2011
- Apologies for the lack of data upload over the past 24 hours or more. There was no internet which I am sure was an external problem. All seems to be well now.
- Had to manually add the November ‘Seasonal Image’ as a result of the above.
- Usual maintenance on server carried out - checked for updates and did where necessary on most software and cleaned the system disk.
- Updated Weather Display to version 10.37Q build 88.
- Restarted the server (twice!).
Monday 07 November 2011
- Cleaned server disk.
- Restarted server to keep virus scanner happy.
- Updated Weather Display to version 10.37Q build 87.
- Submitted details to the ‘Weather Display World Site Locator’. Why have I not done this before? Added a link to this on the ‘Location’ page. The page very slightly update too.
Tuesday 01 November 2011
- Added a link to the new Met Office ‘Cold Weather Alert’ data onto the ‘Met Office Links’ page.
- Updated Weather Display to version 10.37Q build 86.
Friday 28 October 2011
- Checked most software on the server and installed updates where needed, including webcam and operating system updates.
- Updated Weather Display to version 10.37Q build 85.
- Cleaned server system disk.
- Restarted server.
Tuesday 25 October 2011
- The time on the webcam timestamp was an hour off (it has its own settings). Corrected.
Sunday 16 October 2011
- Installed various operating system updates.
- Updated to the latest system version of the virus scanner.
- Updated Weather Display to version 10.37Q build 83.
- Restarted the server.
Thursday 06 October 2011
- The power line was changed today. The server and all associated equipment was switched off at around 11:30 and powered back up at around 20:40, although the physical weather station continued to collect data via battery. Hopefully, this will be reflected in data logs. There was a website holding page active during this time. The usual website was back online at about 21:25. Despite the server and other equipment being permanently on, there were no problems rebooting it after several hours down time. The power line replacement only took about 30 minutes, but timings meant I couldn’t get the equipment back on until the evening. Expect some funny results on tonight’s (tomorrow’s) time-lapse image!
- Checked nearly all and (where necessary) updated server software. This includes operating system updates, webcam software and others.
- Updated Weather Display to version 10.37Q build 80.
- Cleaned and defragmented the system disk.
- Restarted server for good measure.
Sunday 02 October 2011
- The power line that feeds electricity into our house needs replacing, and this is scheduled for this coming Thursday (6 October) afternoon. From about 11:30 on this day, the server and all associated equipment will be powered down gracefully, therefore no new local data will be uploaded to the website. Normal service will resume at approximately 20:30 the same day. It makes sense for this website will also be inaccessible during this time, so a holding page will be put up for the duration.
Thursday 22 September 2011
- Slight update to the ‘technical’ page.
Sunday 18 September 2011
- The ‘Back to top’ link on the ‘Seasonal Images’ page was not linked correctly. Corrected.
- The time-lapse video was cut short. Think it was just a glitch. Manually uploaded and will keep checking it over the next few days. I have checked the settings and they seem OK...
Wednesday 14 September 2011
- Installed operating system updates. Had to restart the server as a result. Restarting made the virus scanner happy too.
- Created the server-end code for the ‘Seasonal Images’ page and tested. This is now up and running and just needs real time for the images to be fully viewable.
- Updated Weather Display to version 10.37Q build 78.
Tuesday 13 September 2011
- The backup wireless internet connection dongle has been sort of loose for a while now. It is now better secured.
- Created the ‘Seasonal Images’ page and coding. I now need to do the various automatic server commands at some stage. It almost goes without saying that there are no images yet.
- As a result of this new page, I have created a slightly new navigation layout. The ‘Climate Data’ page has moved up several levels. There is now a whole new ‘level’ on the navigation bar for webcam pages (it always slightly annoyed me that they the ‘Webcam’ and ‘Time-Lapse’ pages were listed under ‘Local Data:’ - even though they are generated locally, they aren’t really aspects of weather data). I hope this doesn’t take too long for you to get used to.
- Resized the navigation bar titles too (made bigger) so I could fit a ‘g’ in!
Monday 12 September 2011
- Installed various updates, including the internet browser and webcam software.
- Updated Weather Display to version 10.37Q build 75.
- Cleaned the system disk.
- Restarted the server to complete some updates (it has needed it for a while - see below).
- An idea I had today, and something which will be coming soon (and indeed coming up over the next year!), is a page of seasonal webcam images. This will display one image from each month of the year and will be an excellent contrast of outside conditions. I need to do some server-end and website coding for this, although it shouldn’t take too long. It will hopefully be online this week, although it will obviously take a year in real time for all the images to appear.
- I have also just realised that some of the months in this log are wrong. Corrected!
Thursday 08 September 2011 (I think)
- Got on the roof and repositioned the webcam. It is now better secured in place.
Tuesday 06 September 2011
- I’ve been reminded why the tides graph doesn’t work, and I can’t do anything about it so I’ve disabled the graphic again and adjusted the ‘Tides’ page. A shame.
- Installed an operating system update but the server needs a restart, which I haven’t bothered to do.
Saturday 03 September 2011
- Checked nearly all software software on the server and updated what needed to be done. Not much needed doing. Defragmented the system disc, cleaned it etc.
- Restarted the server to enable the virus scanner to fully update.
- Updated Weather Display to version 10.37Q build 73.
- Yes - I am aware the webcam has slipped again!
Thursday 25 August 2011
- Webcam wasn’t as focused as I thought and some sticky tack was visible. Corrected.
- The image on the ‘Lightning Data’ page was broken. Corrected. Amended the hyperlink to the parent website too.
- The ‘active regions’ image on the ‘Space Weather’ page was broken. After some research, replaced with another and added a hyperlink to acknowledge the source.
- Some slight size updates to the ‘Forecast’ page. Also added a link to current world temperatures on the same page. Was going to create a new page for it, but deemed it unnecessary.
- Updated Weather Display to version 10.37Q build 69.
- I think I may have fixed an old error where the was a problem with the image on the ‘Tides’ place. The image (or diagram) has been reinstated and other bits of the page updated as a result. We’ll see how it goes. It was more of a case of remembering what was wrong in the first place!
Wednesday 24 August 2011
- Webcam had fallen to a slanted angle. Got on the roof, corrected and refocused.
Tuesday 23 August 2011
- Installed an operating system update.
- Very slight update to Met Office WOW configuration. It now correctly states that a weather report will be ready at a set time each day.
- Text on left-hand buttons is now less obtrusive.
- As pointed out by Martyn Hicks who runs a Bristol weather station, the current conditions data displayed on AWEKAS is incorrect and this has been ongoing for a while. I have now set it to display nothing, which is better than being inaccurate.
Saturday 20 August 2011
- Very early this morning, I discovered that my DNS redirect widget had expired. Spent a short while fixing and all is well now. I expect the warning email got caught up in spam or something.
- Updated Weather Display to version 10.37Q build 68.
Sunday 14 August 2011
- Installed operating system updates, webcam software update, internet browser update and some others.
- Cleaned system disk.
- Updated Weather Display to version 10.37Q build 66.
- The server was shutdown (forced I think) and restarted automatically due to some work being done here. Various times of UPS activation too. I have tried make sure the emergency power fail protocol works now, as I’m not sure it was.
- Also had to restart the server to install operating system updates.
Sunday 07 August 2011
- Full software update on the server. Everything that needed to be updated, has been (including webcam software).
- Updated Weather Display to version 10.37Q build 61.
- Introduced some more security measures on the server and checked pretty much everything to do with security, ports etc.
- Cleaned and defragmented the system drive.
Tuesday 02 August 2011
- Updated ‘Webcam’ page so the blurb now more accurately states that the webcam looks North West, rather than just West.
Wednesday 27 July 2011
- Updated Weather Display to version 10.37Q build 58.
Wednesday 20 July 2011
- Updated Weather Display to version 10.37Q build 57.
Tuesday 12 July 2011
- Positioned webcam so there is no ‘ring’ on the image when it gets dark/darker outside. Hopefully, this will be the last webcam thing I have to do forever!
Tuesday 12 July 2011
- Updated server internet browser.
- Installed operating system updates. Had to restart server as a result.
Tuesday 12 July 2011
- Updated Weather Display to version 10.37Q build 56.
- Updated the ‘Climate’ page. It stated the long-term climate data was updated manually so may not be up-to-date. It is now done automatically.
Sunday 10 July 2011
- There is a ‘ring’ on the webcam at times. Easy fix and will soon. It looks great now.
- Updated Weather Display to version 10.37Q build 55.
Thursday 07 July 2011
- Webcam positioned correctly and updated the ‘photos’ page to reflect this.
- Reverted back to the old-style text overlay as it looks better.
- Updated webcam software on server.
Wednesday 06 July 2011
- Throughout some of this evening, some services were not available. This looks like it was down to a hosting problem beyond my control. All back up now it seems.
- Whilst out there (see below), quick visual check of all weather instruments. All seems well.
- Finally got around to moving the webcam up. Got me drill out and hey presto. Took a while. Needs tweaking but looks much better. Slightly different text overlay colours and trailing it without the sun glass lens. Will hopefully finish tomorrow, as it is raining at present. Did mean some webcam down time today. For a lot of the afternoon, the online image (because the upload wasn’t re-enabled as I ran out of time and had to be elsewhere) looked like this:
Enjoy the ‘images from the day’ montage with these on while you can!
Thursday 30 June/Friday 01 July 2011
- Installed operating system updates.
- Restarted server as a result.
- Updated Weather Display to version 10.37Q build 51.
- Updated server internet browser.
- I don’t mind the webcam refreshing only every 60 seconds - the system I have in place is now very reliable. I have updated all automatic refresh times for the webcam to be 60 seconds.
- Finished lining up everything for the ‘CRT-monitor’ live data page.
- Added a key to the ‘Radar’ page.
- Added the (old) and better satellite images back onto the ‘Satellite’ page as I have found links that work. Existing ones kept at the bottom of the page too.
- Pressure maps on ‘Pressure Charts’ page were not updating, so have added a different source and all is working now.
- Added ‘OTRONI’ to the webcam image as an identifier now it will be running in the long-term using the current system. By the way, 6 characters is the limit!
Sunday 26 June 2011
- Updated webcam software.
- Updated server internet browser.
- ‘Met Office WOW’ page data needed extending so all of it could be seen correctly. Sorted.
- Cleaned up the link to the clientraw.txt file on the ‘WAP/Other Data’ page so it is more easily accessible.
- ‘Pressure Maps’ page is now called ‘Pressure Charts’.
- Added a Metcheck outlook to the ‘Forecast’ page.
- Added more links and data acknowledgement to ‘Air Pollution’ page.
Wednesday 22 June 2011
- Updated Weather Display to version 10.37Q build 47.
- Cleaned server disk.
- Tried playing around with webcam uploading techniques (existing software stopping upload again. I have updated it to the latest version but there are still problems. Been liaising with the creator but no solution yet). Using the internal uploader now, which should be OK. We’ll see. Can only upload every minute though rather than every 30 seconds...
Tuesday 14 June 2011
- Installed operating system updates.
- Updated webcam software. Hopefully this will prevent the upload problem.
- Reduced the size of the monitor icon on the ‘Home/Live Data’ page to make it look better.
- There was a strange error where one image was appearing twice on the ‘Satellite’ page. Corrected.}
- Just remembered a few days ago that I tweaked the shutdown server command for when there is a prolonged power failure.
- Restarted server for updates to kick in.
Sunday 12 June 2011
- Updated a lot of server software, including webcam software.
- Updated Weather Display to version 10.37Q build 46.
- Restarted the server.
- Started to discuss the webcam software fault where the FTP upload stops (although time-lapse images keep creating, which is nice) on the relevant forum. Hopefully the update will fix...
- Some down time a couple of days ago. Apologies. Website data wasn’t uploaded due to a DNS fault if I remember correctly and something else. ISP issue. Was fixed the same day.
- Data wasn’t uploaded today for a bit either due to redecoration continuing at the house. All back on now. UPS kicked in for a time.
- Finally found some good software which details when UPS kicks in and when normal power state is returned. Installed on server and tested.
- A few days ago or so, uninstalled the WeatherBug Alert software on the server and installed a new Met Office widget.
- There is now a version of the live data which is optimised for normal/older PC screens (so can be viewed full screen with no problems). An icon link is on the front page.
- Front page top banner slightly re-titled to make more sense (especially for first-time viewers) and the page is now called ‘Home/Live Data’. Updated other pages to reflect this.
- Added ‘Met Office WOW’ page.
- Was going to add a BBC South West TV link but just added them all in the end (or a link to one links page). This is on the ‘Met Office Links’ page (Met Office provide the BBC with data and forecasts).
- Slight update to ‘Help’ page.
- Some elements of the front page were not lined up on the live data screen. Corrected.
- The front page did have a long time-out limit (to save bandwidth in theory). This has now been disabled.
- Added the new UPS monitor to the ‘Service Status’ page to users (and me) can see anywhere when a power fault occurs). Slight update to that page too.
Tuesday 07 June 2011
- Updated Weather Display to version 10.37Q build 44.
- Also updated webcam software and server internet browser.
- Webcam has been down for days - apologies - due to software fault. Hopefully the update will help.
- Cleaned server disk.
Friday 27 May 2011
- Updated webcam firmware to the latest version.
- The ‘Technical’ page didn’t list the exact webcam model used. Added in.
- Updated Weather Display to version 10.37Q build 43.
Friday 27 May 2011
- Time-lapse video still not uploading correctly. Fixed.
- Webcam software playing up. Restarted.
- The ‘Disclaimer & Copyright’ page now has this year’s date on.
Wednesday 25 May 2011
- Time-lapse video was not being updated a few days or so ago. Was playing around with iSpy and the location of the images changed and spooked out the time-lapse video creator. Fixed a few days back.
- Apologies to viewers who tried to access local data for most of Sunday and early Monday. There was a big problem with our ISP (internet, phones and cable television were all down). Data was again being uploaded in the early hours of Monday morning. It appears someone cut through the line and took out three local towns. Just finding and installing an internet connection monitor to log these things, although Weather Display’s FTP logs can give some detail. Edit: just realised there is some software on there that can give some detail on this already (ie/ ‘Service Status’ page logs).
Wednesday 11 May 2011
- There have been lots of changes and tweaks and this entry covers the last week or so.
- The biggest change is a new webcam. From what I can gather, the image is much better when in bright sunshine due to other settings. Mains connection better (as there are much less joins) and new ethernet cable run. It hasn’t gone down!
- Cables tacked, gaps filled etc.
- Website updated to reflect new technical changes and photos of the webcam updated.
- I may move it up a bit as a lot of the roof is shown.
- Operating system updates installed along with some software updates (including the time-lapse video creator).
- iSpy software now used to upload webcam image and create time-lapse images.
- Time-lapse video file size was large using uncompressed image input source. Changed settings so the video is a smaller size but the quality of the video is acceptable.
- Various tweaks to the server (especially webcam-wise) to make it all work.
- Webcam image hosted via Virgin Media rather than HostSphere for connection reasons.
- RSS feed and I think the log file viewer stopped working. After spending a fair amount of time trying to find what is was, fixed it (a router issue).
- Cleaned server disk, defragmented it and checked for viruses.
- There have been various restarts but hopefully shouldn’t have to do that for a while now.
- Everything on this website should work, expect ‘images from the day’ on the ‘In Detail’ page. Trying to fix that. EDIT: this now works.
Monday 02 May 2011
- Some minor tweaks to some pages to clean up.
- New webcam has been dispatched so should be here soon. Not sure what to use the old one for (with so many extensions etc) but may find a use.
Friday 29 April 2011
- I am fed up with the webcam being down (due to extenders beyond proper length etc) so I have today ordered some ethernet cable and an IP camera. Very nice it is to, and well supported. It should be up and running next week sometime so should never be down again.
Thursday 28 April 2011
- Virus scanner logs corrupt so fixed that.
- Installed various software and operating system updates.
- Cleaned disk on server and undertook other maintenance (including defragmenting the system disk).
- Updated Weather Display to version 10.37Q build 42.
Tuesday 26 April 2011
- Added some extra (newish) Met Office stuff to the ‘Forecast’ page and changed the order of the page.
Friday 22 April 2011
- ‘Home’ page all working again (the live weather data bit). New key came the day after I sent the email but was in ‘Junk’!
- I know I mentioned that networking was sorted and the EOM adaptors were all back on. Well it’s been on and off. It is now 100% wired in again and has a solid connection.
- Updated the webcam software a day or two back.
- Installed an operating system update.
Wednesday 20 April 2011
- Still waiting for new key.
- Server dead. Restarted.
- Webcam dead. Sorted.
- Visual check of all weather instruments outside. All seems fine.
- ‘Climate’ page updated to reflect new server addresses.
- Checked all links and changed some other bits to point to new server address.
Tuesday 19 April 2011
- Big problems with Virgin Media FTP. Cannot upload files (and it seems other users are having the same problems). So took this opportunity to move to the new server. I think I have adjusted everything on the Website. The front page will not work until I get a new license key though. Apologies for the down time since around midday yesterday.
- Lots of updates to server settings and pages on this website as a result.
- Checked everything too here and seems OK.
- Restarted server as it was frozen solid (which may have been my fault).
- Removed ‘Revolver Maps’ from the ‘Help’ page as not sure it was doing anything.
- Upgraded to the latest version of Weather Display Live and emailed them asking for a new key due to server change.
Monday 18 April 2011
- Updated ‘Google Chrome’ on the server and installed lots of operating system updates.
Wednesday 13 April 2011
- Updated some software and the virus scanner on the server. Restarted.
- All back to normal networking now. Website updated to reflect.
Sunday 10 April 2011
- (The following has happened over the last few days):
- Played around more with the new hosting. The FTP has restrictions but I have set up and email command (two on the server with the help of freeware) to remind me to check it each month. Not such a bad thing actually. The view is to move nearly all operations over there.
- Restarted webcam (backup didn’t help things).
- Hopefully tomorrow, normal networking will be back on and this website fully restored.
- Installed an operating system update.
- New/updated links added to ‘Climate’ page so data can be viewed.
- Updated Weather Display to version 10.37Q build 39.
- The above was certainly a few days ago - just updated Weather Display to version 10.37Q build 41!
Friday 18 March 2011
- As part of an organisation of which I am a member, I get free hosting! Was only talking about that on here the other day. Hopefully it will be long-term. Not sure what to do with it yet, as there is a locking restriction and I can’t use my static written IP. For now, the time-lapse video is uploaded to it and I’ve upped it to maximum quality. Nice.
- Full clean and update of software on the server, including webcam software.
- Updated Weather Display to version 10.37Q build 37.
Wednesday 16 March 2011
- Installed some operating system updates on the server.
- Webcam has been down for a while as a result of the wireless backup (I think). Fixed for now.
Monday 07 March 2011
- Restarted server today as it wasn’t happy, due to a number of reasons.
Thursday 03 March 2011
- Due to refurbishment where one EOM adaptor is located, the station is running on wireless backup until further notice. Some services on this website may not function and data uploads may take longer than expected. All status blurbs updated. There was some downtime from about 08:00 - 21:30 today where new data was not published to this website.
- Installed an operating system update on the server. A full update check for everything and maintenance is probably due.
- The ‘Share’ icon was still causing problems! It was overlapping some text so have moved it again. Hopefully it looks OK.
- Updated Weather Display to version 10.37Q build 34.
Friday 25 February 2011
- The ‘Share’ icon has been moved to the bottom of the navigation bar. Was causing the other five top icons to not work 100%. Better there anyway.
- General clean up as things were getting to cluttered, especially on the ‘Home’ page.
- Detailed visitor map moved from the ‘Home’ to the ‘Help’ page in part of the cleaning. I think it should still log visits. No worries if it does not. The map is now bigger too.
Wednesday 23 February 2011
- Finished adding maps to the ‘Floods’ page.
- Text in top banners is no longer bold, which looks better and less imposing. Buttons on the navigation bar are the same but are still bold when a pointer is hovered over them. Better too.
- Checked the spacing at the bottom of each page so they all match. Only had to amend one page.
- Fully republished this entire website for good measure.
Tuesday 22 February 2011
- The detailed ‘Climate’ page problem is indeed fixed. After looking around, I suspect several upgrades have fixed the issue. Had to upload January’s full data page though manually.
- Cleared some space on the FTP server. Space will eventually be a problem but not for a while yet.
- Finished adding more details and data to the ‘Space Weather’ page.
- Server not a mess today. Latest update to Weather Display obviously fixed that.
- Added a ‘back to top’ link on the new ‘Earthquakes’ page and the page width was incorrect, so fixed it
- Added something I’ve wanted to for a while, and possibly one of the last weather-related things left to add, a ‘Floods’ page.
- Swapped the ‘Share’ and various icons locations around at the top-left of each page. The ‘Share’ drop-down menu was causing annoyance at times when trying to click elsewhere nearby.
Monday 21 February 2011
- Updated Weather Display to version 10.37Q build 33.
- Got into the server for the first time in a while today and it was a bit of a mess. Tray icons not disappearing after FTP updates amongst some other small bits. I think the above update fixes that.
- Changed ‘minimum temperature’ threshold warning to -2c.
- Changed some settings on the server so the EOM program hides always itself.
- Added more data to the ‘Space Weather’ page.
- Added ‘Earthquakes’ page.
- Slight re-jig of the navigation bar. ‘Tides’ now listed as ‘External Data’.
- ‘Tides’ page updated to explain this (as it’s external data generated and built locally).
- The detailed ‘Climate’ page problem seems to be fixed. Need to manually create and upload January still, so will sort that.
- Added new code to the ‘bookmark’ button at the top of each page so it actually does something.
- Website font style changed to ‘Tahoma’. Hopefully all is well..
Monday 14 February 2011
- Updated Weather Display to version 10.37Q build 32.
- Installed operating system updates.
- Had to restart the server as a result.
- Trailing the best way to upload webcam images. It’s been OK barr once since the BETA install.
- Installed new version of ‘Google Chrome’ on the server.
Wednesday 09 February 2011
- Looks like the webcam issue is all sorted.
- Slight change to some brightness settings on the webcam.
- Installed yet another new version of ‘Google Chrome’ on the server.
Tuesday 08 February 2011
- Was looking at other software as a temporary solution for the webcam issue (including Dorgem, but could get it to work unfortunately) when I noticed a new BETA version of Yawcam is out on test.
- Upgraded ‘Google Chrome’ to the latest version on the server.
Monday 07 February 2011
- Added a link to summary.gif (which is the, er, weather summary displayed at the top of the ‘In Detail’ page) on the ‘Wap/Other’ page for open use.
- Slight update to ‘Climate Data’ page.
- ‘Wap/Other’ page is now called ‘Wap/Other Data’.
Sunday 06 February 2011
- Had to restart webcam today and Friday. May have to implement a script myself for the time being while the issue is looked at.
- Updated Weather Display to version 10.37Q build 31.
Wednesday 02 February 2011
- Webcam still not sorted. Posted in the support forum and trying a different setting.
- Installed operating system updates on server.
Tuesday 01 February 2011
- The items in this last have been done over the last few days.
- Set Weather Display to backup it’s settings every day as an extra failsafe (everything is already backed up as a master set anyway). Works fine.
- Had to restart Weather Display a few times as I crashed it once and it was messing around some other times.
- There was an email subject title error (just affects me) which now seems to be corrected.
- Webcam still messing around - must be the software. Will file a support post. Edit: signed up to the forum which is useful, but seen that someone else is having the same issue and a new BETA version is available. Will try that.
- Still working on monthly climate data files. Think I may have found the issue.
- Cleaned some Weather Display settings.
- Received an email this morning - time now correct on ‘WeatherBug’ page.
- Installed an updated version for the ethernet over mains adaptors. Much better and security on the connection now works properly.
Friday 28 January 2011
- Checked for some updates on server. Very little had to be done.
- Updated Weather Display to version 10.37Q build 28.
- The above has fixed (and with minor tweaking my end) data not being pushed to places like CWOP and others.
- Had to restart server (for virus scanner).
- Cleaned and maintained server disk.
- Webcam was still not uploading to the website. Upgraded to a BETA version of the webcam software which seems to address the problem.
- Checked around the website for errors (mostly data not being pushed - see above).
- Updated the ‘WeatherBug’ page so no horizontal scrolling is required. Still can’t adjust the time to the correct value. Have emailed support.
- Sat24 have changed things, so I have had to update the ‘Satellite’ page and changed to code to reflect this. Now using a chart from The Weather Channel too.
- The detailed day-by-day breakdown of weather is not updating. Tried to fix it but cannot. Have started a forum topic.
- Updated the ‘Help’ page. Added a link for ‘Google Chrome’ uses which allows them to install a free RSS reader extension if they wish to use the RSS feeds. ‘Chrome’ does not come with an RSS reader and clicking onto any of the feeds without one results in plain text being displayed.
- Installed a simple weather application on server courtesy of WeatherBug. Displays the temperature in the system tray from a nearby weather station. Good to compare to local data quickly while on the server.
Tuesday 25 January 2011
- Webcam image was still not uploading to the website correctly (due to software upgrade again I think). Fixed (I hope).
Thursday 20 January 2011
- Webcam image was not being uploaded. Fixed. This was due to a incorrect (new?) setting in the webcam software that was not looked at after the upgrade yesterday. The file was however being created locally.
Wednesday 19 January 2011
- Checked for software updates for server. Webcam software updated. Webcam was down for a bit today. Fixed.
- Webcam software was uploading a new image every 45 seconds. Changed to 25 seconds to better reflect settings elsewhere on this website.
- Updated Weather Display to version 10.37Q build 23.
- Cleaned disk.
- Replaced ‘ClustrMaps’ on the ‘Home’ page with the better, more interactive ‘Revolver Maps’. Experimented a bit and looks good. Meant ‘losing’ the data from ‘ClustrMaps’ but no big issue.
- Manual climate data updated.
- Some updates to the ‘Climate Data’ page itself.
Thursday 13 January 2011
- A couple of days ago, carried out a minor software update on the server and scheduled the virus scanner to fully scan the backup disk every week.
- Ran a virus scan on the system disk.
- Updated Weather Display to version 10.37Q build 22.
- 24 hour time was not displaying in Weather Display or the ‘Home’ page (and probably elsewhere too). This is now fixed thanks to the above upgrade to Weather Display.
Thursday 13 January 2011
- Some short unannounced downtime the other day again (where new data was not being uploaded). Had to fit a new plug socket downstairs where the modem and router is so needed to turn the electric off. Webcam was also down a few days ago. Fixed.
- Installed server operating system updates and had to reboot it.
- Cleaned server hard disk.
- Updated Weather Display to version 10.37Q build 19.
Wednesday 05 January 2011
- Apologies for the unannounced downtime for some of this afternoon (where new data was not being uploaded). Had to re-route/change all the cabling downstairs where the modem and router is.
Thursday 30 December 2010
- Webcam crashed (the software was not running when I checked which was odd and rare). Restarted it yesterday.
- At some stage early this morning, the EOM networking software went funny. Took a short while to fix this afternoon and was on wireless back for a very short amount of time. All fixed.
- Rebooted server too (virus scanner needed it), cleaned the disk and updated some software.
- Updated Weather Display to version 10.37Q build 11.
- Removed festive greeting from the ‘Home’ page.
Monday 20 December 2010
- Updated system and other software on server.
- Cleaned and defragmented system disk on server.
- Created a simple command to force a kill of the image to video software (that makes the time-lapse video every day). Sometimes, it wouldn’t close properly and versions stack up.
- Cleared a broken link on the ‘Climate’ page.
- Disabled the NOAA weather warnings in Weather Display.
Monday 13 December 2010
- Cleaned some of the FTP server to free space.
- Lots of changes to the ‘Climate Data’ page. Actually has links to climate data and more now.
- Updated the live data layout on the ‘Home’ page. Was not displaying fully in Google Chrome.
- Updated Weather Display to version 10.37Q build 06.
- Slight change to the introduction text on this page.
Tuesday 07 December 2010
- ‘ClustrMap’ seems to be going fine.
- Updated Weather Display to version 10.37Q build 03.
Tuesday 30 November 2010
- Updated Weather Display to version 10.37Q build 02.
- Server crashed (and webcam too as a result) recently. It restarted itself (barr the webcam) and all is well.
- Added a ‘ClustrMap’ to the ‘Home’ page - not fully active yet but will be automatically soon. Tells me/you where people are logging onto this site from in the world. it is under the general stats counter.
Monday 22 November 2010
- Received an email this morning from ‘WindFinder’, stating they will not add my station to their site as it’s not really water sport related. Oh well. I submitted the request over two months ago!
Thursday 11 November 2010
- Operating system updates carried out on server.
- Checked this website to make sure nearly all features were working and pages displaying correctly. ‘AWEKAS’ and ‘Wunderground’ pages updated accordingly (due to new features that extended layouts etc).
Wednesday 03 November 2010
- Server crashed but restarted on it’s own today (some time in the morning I think). Possibly due to the wireless backup USB stick causing a fault. Seems fine now. In a way this is good, as it needed to be restarted again for a virus scanner update. Webcam seemed to be playing up (maybe as a result of the crash) but all OK now.
Monday 01 November 2010
- Fully updated and restarted the server (includes updating Weather Display to version 10.37Q build 01). Had to restart anyway as the virus scanner was complaining.
- Clock change 2010 seems to have gone fine without me doing a thing to server or La Cross unit.
Monday 25 October 2010
- Very slight change to ‘Suggestion Box’ page wording. Reads better.
Friday 22 October 2010
- EOM adaptors arrived today. All fitted and back online using wired network connections. Connection made more secure too.
Thursday 21 October 2010
- EOM adaptors back in stock (and out again - maybe due to me!) and have been dispatched. Could be back on fully tomorrow, but early next week likely.
- In contact with ‘WindFinder’. Hopefully will be up and running soon.
Wednesday 20 October 2010
- Received an email today to confirm the EOM adaptors developed a fault (under warranty). Unfortunately, new ones are out of stock so haven’t been sent yet. In theory, I can change my order (same price so no difference) but the option is greyed out. Will wait a day or two and see.
- ‘Contact’ page now renamed ‘Suggestion Box’ and all site links updated to reflect this. Was going to create a new page but thought it best to simply rename an existing one.
- Chased ‘WindFinder’ subscription.
Tuesday 19 October 2010
- Some down time today where no new data was uploaded/webcam not updated. This was due to the wireless connection dropping out (signal is weak). Set back to ‘automatic’ so if it does drop out, will connect (like the old days).
Monday 18 October 2010
- Received an email today saying EOM adaptors have been received at the warehouse.
- Woke up to find the server in a state. Wireless stick caused some issues overnight so some down time.
- Updated virus scanner to latest version.
- Updated Weather Display to version 10.37Q build 00.
Friday 15 October 2010
- EOM adaptors packaged up yesterday and were picked up today Hopefully new ones will e here next week.
- Operating system updates carried out on server. Restarted server as a result.
- Updated Weather Display to version 10.37P build 99.
Wednesday 13 October 2010
- Networking fault lies with the EOM (ethernet over mains) adaptors. Just about to arrange replacements.
Tuesday 12 October 2010
- Several server restarts.
- Minor software update.
- Unknown network fault with EOM. Running on wireless backup.
Monday 11 October 2010
- Operating system updates carried out on server.
- Updated Weather Display to version 10.37P build 95.
- Twitter was still not functioning correctly. I have offset the time so it is effectively back working the way it was - updating every 5 minutes.
Monday 04 October 2010
- Twitter has been down for a week or so. Back online using the newer upload ‘tool’ in Weather Display.
- New avatar on actual Twitter page (instead of what seemed to be a picture of an egg).
- ‘Air Pollution’ graphs were broken. Fixed and corrected an alt text spelling mistake.
- Updated Weather Display to version 10.37P build 88.
Saturday 02 October 2010
- Slightly new site layout: the top text navigation bar has gone. Cleaner. Means the entire website has shifted ‘up’, which benefits the left-button navigation bar as more of it can be seen, so nothing really lost.
- ‘SHARE’ button added to the website.
- Using a different way to generate the code for the website - hopefully works on all pages and should be unnoticed.
- Webcam was down again. Fixed.
Tuesday 28 September 2010
- Minor server system updates.
Monday 27 September 2010
- Over the last week, various updates to the server and usual maintenance.
- Webcam back online - just needed a full reset.
- ‘Important messages’ banner live on front page.
- Signed up to ‘WindFinder’ (another place to publish weather data) a few days back. Have yet to hear back.
- Also, a few days back, updated Weather Display to 10.37P build 82.
- Trailing a new webcam auto light adjustment setting (better suited for extremes of light and dark). Results seem good. Have tried similar settings before to unsatisfactory results.
Thursday 16/Friday 17 September 2010
- Initial implementation of the ‘important messages’ banner on the ‘Home’ page. Did have it scrolling but sizes were not correct and perhaps better static anyway. Idea is to change colours to reflect the traffic lights on the ‘Service Status’ page when something happens (if the colour needs to be changed). A great way to put short messages up quickly (this was not published until 27/09/10).
Monday 13 September 2010
- I’m an idiot. No data has been uploaded in over a week. Mass apologies. More soon (this was not published until 27/09/10).
Friday 20 August 2010
- Restarted server to install updates.
- Defragmented server system disk.
- Correctly installed a new version of a piece if system software which did not appear to work last time.
- Cleaned server hard disk.
Monday 09 August 2010
- Filled in the gap left in the wall from when the new networking was installed.
- Updates to the ‘Wedaal’ page to display all the data.
Thursday 05 August 2010
- Finally went up into the top loft to cover cable connections. Protects them from dirt and (worst case) water.
Monday 26 July 2010
- Performed some operating system updates a few days back.
- Updated Weather Display to 10.37P build 41.
- Cleaned the server’s disk.
- Talking weather audio still said ‘check back for a further update in half an hour’. Adjusted audio to say ‘fifteen minutes’ to correctly reflect newer upload times.
- ‘Lightning Data’ image was broken again. Corrected.
- Not all the historical data on the ‘PWSweather’ page was displaying. Corrected.
- ‘In Detail’ was showing scroll bars in some browsers. Corrected.
- Updated various other pages for consistency in hyperlinks (to make sure a full stop is not part of the link).
- Restarted server to complete some updates.
- Although I’ve been pushing data to it for a while, initial implementation of ‘Wedaal’ page.
Tuesday 20 July 2010
- Someone was working on the roof opposite yesterday - made some interesting webcam images and a ‘different’ time-lapse video. Have a look for yourself:
Thursday 15 July 2010
- Lack of data updates and webcam image throughout most of the day due to an ‘Invalid IP address’ on one of the connections. Corrected. Apologies. Some things like the RSS feeds and log files still worked though due to backups kicking in.
Monday 12 July 2010
- Cleaned up some more settings in Weather Display.
- Minor update to ‘Webcam’ page.
- Updated the ‘Talking Weather’ page to reflect new 15 minute update interval.
- Changed size of the ‘In Detail’ page (mostly for Internet Explorer users). New text METAR was causing scroll bars to appear.
- Slight change in the background colour to the text navigation bar.
- Shaded the background to the status on the ‘Service Status’ page to make things clearer.
Sunday 11 July 2010
- Now running a wired ethernet connection (via mains). Spent hours late afternoon/evening running cables, drilling holes etc. All up and running (wireless now disabled but still installed as a backup) and on pretty much full power (which is 85Mbps). A much more stable and faster connection. Most notably, the RSS feeds and log files (on the ‘Service Status’ page) load better and local data on this website will upload quicker. Downtime was kept to a minimum and the UPS was activated for a bit while the power was off. Need to fill a hole that was drilled though.
- Due to the faster connection, ‘Talking Weather’ now updates every 15 minutes rather than 30.
- Restarted the server as a Windows networking error box would not exit!
- Extra text METAR added to the ‘In Detail’ page for comparative purposes (scroll down to said page near the bottom to see it). It is for Lyneham.
- Minor server software update.
- Signed up to Wedaal (another place to publish weather data). Will be on here shortly after testing etc.
- Cleaned up some settings in Weather Display.
- Now running NOAA warnings and weather forecasts for California (USA) just on the server (as it is a feature of Weather Display). Did add it to the ‘In Detail’ page but wasn’t very relevant. Running purely for interest.
Saturday 10 July 2010
- Updated some software on the server.
- Tests and preparations complete for the install of new networking tomorrow.
Tuesday 06 July 2010
- Slight update to ‘Space Weather’ page.
Sunday 04 July 2010/Monday 05 July 2010
- New separator for top navigation bar (again). Cleans it up a bit.
- Background now all white. Looks better (especially on pages where the data exceeds the usual width).
- More dials etc added to AWEKAS via their ‘plus’ (or whatever it’s called) programme. Added email address link to it too. To this end, adjusted ‘AWEKAS’ page to show so all data.
- Some complete downtime (on Monday) while a physical clean of the server etc and re-route of cables was carried out.
- Ran a link checker to check for broken links etc. All fine.
- Updated ‘Photos’ page.
- Updated ‘Help’ page.
- Updated ‘Technical’ page in preparation for new networking and added a line about the temperature sensor.
- Slight update to ‘Time-Lapse’ page.
- Updated Weather Display to 10.37P build 38.
- Initial implementation of ‘Space Weather’ page.
Friday 02 July 2010
- Slight update to ‘Webcam’ page.
Wednesday 30 June 2010
- Finally moved temperature sensor and checked reading against a couple of other sensors around the area. All seems well and should put an end to inaccurate readings. ‘Photos’ page yet to be updated.
Monday 28/Tuesday 29 June 2010
- Network adaptors tested and work fine but need some wiring done to them. Running wireless still for now.
- Set-up static DHCP etc for when new networking comes into force.
- Updated and cleaned server. Some downtime Monday evening (no data pushed out).
- Made server more secure in various ways.
- Weather Display now running version 10.37P build 37.
- Finished correcting sea level and locations (server-end).
- Updated router firmware to latest version.
- Need to re-route all cables at it’s a mess. Perhaps this Thursday. Will result in almost complete downtime.
- Fixed log files and RSS feeds. An error in the router’s configuration prevented them from showing.
- Filled in a gap where cables come through the ceiling.
Saturday 26 June 2010
- New networking adaptors arrived the other day. Yet to be fitted properly so still running wireless.
- Spaced icons at top-left of each page better.
- Added a ‘make homepage’ button. Not functioning though.
- All external data now inserted into webpage consistently using better, more easily customisable code.
- All external images now use basic and proper HTML code to be inserted. Much better than iframes and they make use of alt text.
- Updated sea level on ‘Technical’ page.
- Minor update to ‘Pressure Maps’ page.
- CWOP/APRS data had vanished on it’s page. Corrected.
- Data to the ‘Air Pollution’ page added.
- Webcam image to ‘AWEKAS’ added.
- Super accurate locations and sea level heights added to all data and external feeds.
Wednesday 23 June 2010
- Downtime (weather data not updated) from around 00:00 - after 06:00 and looks like some other times today. Hundreds of warning emails received! The server seems fine so think it was a ISP problem.
- Favicon now installed but will not display due to the way this website redirects. Still coded perhaps for future use.
- Added extra credit to source on the ‘Pressure Maps’ page.
- UV index map key now hosted locally.
- Much better ‘Back to top’ links implemented. Stays on the page rather than reloading it.
- Added ‘Back to top’ links to all pages (expect ‘Home’). An ever-expanding left-hand navigation bar was one reason for this.
- Updated bitrate details on ‘Time-Lapse- page.
- Small layout/format changes on some pages.
- Slight rearrange of the ‘External Data’ links.
- Initial implementation of the ‘Pollen Count’ page.
Monday 21 June 2010
- Moved top border down slightly for easier readability on each page.
- Added another link to the ‘CWOP/APRS’ page to show details of the OTronics weather station.
- Corrected the link to open data in an external window on the ‘CWOP/APRS’ page (was pointing to another station’s data).
- Added a ‘sticker’ on the ‘Wunderground’ page and links to other stickers.
- Added ‘print’ and ‘add to favourites’ buttons to the top-left of each page.
- ‘Disclaimer’ page renamed to ‘Disclaimer & ©’ and has copyright and more related information on.
- ‘UK UV Index’ page renamed to ‘UV Index’.’
Sunday 20 June 2010
- Ordered ‘ethernet over mains’ adaptors to enable faster and more reliable connection to the server.
Friday 18 June 2010
- Adjusted/added some cabling in preparation for new networking.
- Added a link to the UK weather forecast video provided by the BBC. To view, click the TV at the top-left of any page (opens in new window). ‘Help’ page updated to reflect this.
- Added more links to ‘Met Office’ page.
- Renamed ‘Met Office’ page to ‘Met Office Links’.
- Moved ‘Met Office Links’ page to the bottom of the ‘External Data’ navigation bar.
- New separator implemented on text links at top of page. Looks better.
- Initial implementation of ‘Pressure Maps’ page.
- Initial implementation of ‘UK UV Index’ page.
- ‘Air Pollution’ page created - coming soon.
Thursday 17 June 2010
- Some locations on the external data feeds needed correcting, especiall CWOP/APRS where the station seemed to be based in the ocean! All sorted.
- Slight update to ‘Technical’ page.
Wednesday 16 June 2010
- Power-cut. Lasted longer than the UPS battery could cope so resulted in downtime. When the power was restored, all systems restarted like they should, but the wireless USB dongle freaked out and the server wasn’t connected to the internet. A manual fix sorted this. The overall result was several hours where the live data on this website was not updated (afternoon/early evening time). Webcam had to be restored manually too but think this was just a glitch.
- Updated to latest Weather Display version (10.37P build 36).
- Cleaned hard disk in server.
Monday 14 June 2010
- Slight updates to ‘RSS Feeds’ page.
- Looking into buying some ‘networking over mains’ adaptors to solve the slow internet connection problem on the server now, rather than running a long 70m cable (or thereabouts). Looks to be the best option.
- Temperature sensor still inaccurate at times. Will be moved again.
- Updated software on the server (Windows Updates).
- Had to remove the graph from the ‘Tides’ page as it was still causing problems. It’s because the server is locked and the image doesn’t create correctly in that state. Do not want to leave it unlocked so this is the best option for now.
- Font size decreased slightly on top of page banners.
Friday 11 June 2010
- RSS feeds and service status log files were broken due to incorrect configuration in the router. Fixed.
- Webcam also went down. Fixed.
- ‘Lightning Data’ image was broken. Fixed.
Thursday 03 June 2010
- Some slight down time this evening as an update for the server virus scanner required a restart. Also fitted a new backup ethernet card (in preparation for a possible hard-wired ethernet connection) as the previous backup card had a minor flaw (the clip that keeps the cable in was broken). This network card change also required a restart.
- Time-lapse video command now working and the video itself doesn’t have incorrect images at the start. So, time-lapse video corrected.
- On a more historical note, since installing active USB hubs, the webcam ‘crash’ problem appears to have been corrected after several weeks on test.
- Webcam imaged now being pushed out and available on ‘Weather Underground’.
- Pressure readings more accurate.
Tuesday 01 June 2010
- Rearranged the ‘clientraw.txt’ links better on the ‘Wap/Other’ page.
- Webcam image tweaked again a couple days back. Was too bright during the day, especially sunny days.
- Updated ‘Service Status’ page (log files details).
- New font style on buttons and page banners.
- The above has enabled me to rename the ‘Weather Talk’ to ‘Talking Weather’.
- Manual banner title generated for the ‘Home’ page.
- Initial implementation of ‘Lightning Data’ page.
- Added ‘Cloud Types’ to ‘In Detail’ page and made minor edits to the aforementioned page.
- Changed the all time record for highest temperature as it was incorrect.
- Working on a server command to fix the beginning of the time-lapse video, as it seems to get worse every day. Hopefully will be implemented and operational within the next day or two.
Thursday 27 May 2010
- Spent time defragmenting server hard disks and updating all software. Also ran various successful security/spyware etc checks.
- Very slightly altered the talking weather service speech to better reflect all conditions.
Wednesday 26 May 2010
- ‘Current conditions’ icon on the ‘Home’ page was still incorrect. Now corrected - a setting in Weather Display was causing the issue.
- ‘Home’ page slightly tweaked including webcam image refresh rate.
- Webcam image tweaked.
Tuesday 25 May 2010
- The ‘height above sea level’ setting was incorrect for AWEKAS. Corrected.
- ‘Height above sea level’ setting on Weather Display and PWSWeather is more accurate.
- ‘AWEKAS’ page updated to provide a direct link for data from this station which is optimised for mobile devices.
- Mounted a switch on the wall and extended the cable, plus slight other hardware adjustments, so some down time early this afternoon, especially the webcam.
- Added more downloadable files to the ‘Wap/Other’ page.
- Added ‘fullscreen’ feature to the ‘Home’ page. Simply click to button near the bottom of the instruments on the page to activate and again to deactivate. Optimised the page to, mostly for ‘fullscreen’.
- Added text ‘current conditions’ to the ‘Home’ page.
- The ‘current conditions’ icon on the home page was alternating between icons, showing wrong data.
- ‘Technical’ and ‘Help’ page reviewed and updated.
Monday 24 May 2010
- Initial implementation of RSS feeds. Three available - current observations, rainfall and sun/moon data.
- An error in the file server configuration meant new log files on the ‘Service Status’ were not appearing. Corrected.
- Due to the ever demanding nature of the weather server, it has come to my attention that more bandwidth is needed. It is currently connected wirelessly and the connection is not strong. Hard-wiring into the router would fix the problem but requires a survey and approx. 70m of ethernet cable to do so. Cost not really a factor. The slow internet connection is causing some drop-outs in data. A faster connection is being considered and can be achieved with some planning. To this end, an HP ethernet switch has been installed along with a spare network card in preparation. An old wireless card has been removed. This means the server now has two ethernet cards (one main and one for backup). Both will be in use should this hard-wiring go ahead.
- Added an extra chassis fan to the server.
- The temperature sensor is providing invalid data at times due to it’s location. It is now situated in a better place - away from sunlight and has been calibrated. It was also being kept warm in it’s old location (against a wall). This has also been solved mostly. ‘Photos’ page updated.
- Cleaned all outdoor weather instruments. Some instruments may have been providing invalid data early this afternoon due to cleaning, especially the wind speed and direction.
- Webcam image on the, er, webcam page now updates automatically.
Friday 21 May 2010
- Added more detail to the ‘Weather Talk’ page.
- Corrected the size of the audio player (for some browsers) on the ‘Weather Talk’ page.
- Added idv3 tags to the mp3 file for the talking weather service.
- Slightly changed the structure of the speech in the audio file to better reflect all conditions.
- More detail added to ‘Wap/Other’ page.
- XML file was not updating. Corrected.
- Weather Display appeared to be crashing regularly. Disabling wdwatch.exe (which should keep Weather Display alive!) solved this issue.
- Data on the CWOP/APRS page linked to the wrong account. Corrected. There was also a problem uploading this data. Also corrected.
- Ran a link-checker on the entire website to check for broken links/errors etc. None found.
- Some ‘Back to top’ links were linking to the wrong pages. Corrected.
- Adjusted the sizes and layouts of some pages - looks better.
- Altered the key order of the ‘Service Status’ page.
- Time-lapse video was old. New one being created, just not uploaded. Changed settings to hopefully correct.
Monday 17 May 2010/Tuesday 18 May 2010
- Initial implementation of Weather Talk, AWEKAS, CWOP/APRS, PWSweather, WeatherBug, Weather Underground, WAP and other services found on ‘Wap/Other’ page (this includes a METAR text file). RSS not yet implemented.
- Initial implementation of ‘Climate Data’ page.
- Initial implementation of ‘Service Status’ page and public log files.
- Changes to site navigation.
- Tides graph restored using a different method than before. The page was still not updating. Fixed.
- Time-lapse video had some stray images at the beginning. Should be fixed. Possibly a result of me ‘going back in time’ (jumping the clock back several hours) to diagnose upload problems on the server. Edit: still does it. Just ignore.
- Time-lapse video now running at 980kbps and 35 frames a second (was 930kbps and 37).
- ‘Photos’ page updated (new server photos).
- ‘Disclaimer’ page updated.
- ‘Twitter’ page updated.
- ‘Webcam’ page updated - image moved nearer the top.
- Added ‘Back to top’ link on pages where it makes sense to.
- ‘In Detail’ page was showing old data. Some override commands had stopped it uploaded. Fixed. METAR was also broken. Fixed. The page itself no longer fully centres. Looks better and some fonts match the rest of the website. Added some new features to the page too.
- To this end, Weather Display is uploading files customised by myself (content and times). WD has also had a lot of settings added/changed due to lots of updates/new data pushing etc.
- Text in top-of-page banners now centred and text slightly bigger.
- Due to the vast nature of updates, I fully expect there to be some bugs. Please email these to me and I will keep watch this end.
Saturday 15 May 2010
- Current conditions icon wasn’t showing on the ‘Home’ page (broke after last update). Fixed now.
- White gap appeared on ‘Home’ page (to the right). Corrected.
Thursday 13 May 2010
- New top text navigation bar ‘separators’ and matched text style to main font.
- Pale yellow background colour not as harsh now.
- Added ‘(UK)’ to website title for clarification to website visitors from abroad.
- Tide data was still not working. Hopefully fixed now.
- Correct right-hand white gap on ‘Home’ page. In fact, all pages are now the same size except the ‘In Detail’ page which needs more space or until I can figure how how to reduce it.
- Did try displaying all pages in the centre of browser. Didn’t look correct so reverted.
- Coming soon: will start to push data out to more sources. These include AWEKAS, CWOP/APRS, PWSWeather, WeatherBug and yes, possibly Weather Underground. Also looking into WAP, RSS feeds. Currently, the only external data upload destination (except this site) is Twitter, which only displays basic info.
- Lastly, I’m working on something else that promises to be really cool: talking weather! In the process of setting this up, an automated audio summary of Warminster’s weather!
Tuesday 11 May 2010
- New text styles on banners and navigation bar. Looks better.
- Corrected an issue with a mysterious black bar appearing on the ‘Tides’ page (supposed to be a graph).
- Corrected a layout (scrolling) issue on the ‘In Detail’ page for Internet Explorer users.
Saturday 08 May 2010
- Minor website layout updates.
- METAR data was stuck on old information (‘In Detail’ page). Fixed.
- New USB self-powered hubs fitted yesterday for webcam.
Sunday 02 May 2010
- Minor website updates.
- Webcam still experiencing connection problems. Ordered x2 active (self-powered) USB hubs yesterday to put in the extension chain to hopefully fix the problem once and for all.
Thursday 29 April 2010
- Finished cleaning website.
- It has come to my attention that after spending ages working out how to switch of ‘WebCam Capture’ (a success nonetheless), the ‘Time-Lapse’ page is stuck on a few days back as no new video is being generated. Instead of using more buggy software provided by Weather Display, now using ‘Images To Video’. Again, much better.
- Webcam and time-lapse video should now be much more reliable.
Wednesday 28 April 2010
- Spent some of today but mostly yesterday installing and setting up new webcam software, Yawcam. Replaces the clunky and buggy ‘WebCam Capture’ software provided by Weather Display. Much better. Website updated where necessary.
- ‘WebCam Capture’ used a mix of .gif and .jpg files, everything now uses .jpg for simplicity.
- The webcam now updates every 30 seconds.
- The time-lapse feature is still generated by using photos taken every minute though.
- Added more graphs to the ‘In Detail’ page. The drop-down bar at the top of the page now displays.
- Updated ‘Help’ page.
- Installed WXTide32 for tide predications. Obviously, there is no ocean near Warminster, so the location is set to Weston-Super-Mare (one of the nearest beaches) for reference purposes. New page created.
- Swapped some RAM around from another computer. Weather server now runs 3.25GB of RAM (was 2.5GB). See the ‘Technical’ page (which has been updated) for more details.
- Adjusted website layout slightly. Should display better on some pages.
Monday 26 April 2010
- General maintenance.
- Checked outdoor weather instruments and cleaned off some dirt (mainly under the cover of the temp. (et al) sensor.
- Cleaned area around server and opened mouse to clean (very dirty).
- Checked server health and cleaned unnecessary files.
- Upgraded webcam software/driver and other general software.
- Webcam crashing a lo recently - changed USB port set-up and checked settings to hopefully fix.
- Found an old pair of sunglasses and put one lens over the webcam. Looks better and helps prevent glare.
- Upgraded Weather Display to 10.37P build 30.
Tuesday 13 April 2010
- The station has been down since about 20:47 last night due to an internet connection error. Was restored this evening.
- Added some more features to the ‘In Detail’ page
Tuesday 23 March 2010
- Changed layout of this log (slightly) so the individual points are easier to read.
- RAM (make: ‘Crucial’) arrived today and fitted. Working successfully. RAM in server now 2.5GB rather than 768MB. Server was down for approximately 10 minutes while RAM was fitted (website remained up, so data was simply not updated for a short while).
- Updated technical page and some other minor parts of this website.
- Webcam was down for some hours again today.
Monday 22 March 2010
- Apparently 366 unique visits and 565 hits today according to front page counter. May check log files. Spamming or something else to blame perhaps.
- Webcam down since late afternoon yesterday. Apologies. Up again at approx. 22:30 tonight.
- Clocks go forward this coming Sunday 28 March. Will affect the time lapse video for the Sunday itself. One less hour will be recorded.
Sunday 21 March 2010
- Upgraded Weather Display to latest version (10.37P build 26).
Friday 19 March 2010
- Installed new 500GB external hard disk drive (Seagate) to server. Used for backups.
- Ordered 2GB of RAM for server to bring total to 2.5GB (up from 768MB!)
- Updated ‘Technical’ page (HDD details and added FTP server host).
Wednesday 17 March 2010
Wednesday 03 March 2010
- Removed black borders from the time-lapse video. The movie now fills the whole embedded screen.
Tuesday 02 March 2010
- Created this page and log.
- Some down time around 1200 today. Internet connection has been dropping out so a new modem was sent. This was installed today but activation took longer than anticipated due to errors. All back online. Down time: approx. 30 minutes.
Back to top